Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

How much is 'significant' according to IB

How much is 'significant' according to IB

Old Mar 30, 2021, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Indeed. "Delay" is irrelevant. The proper term is "change" as used above.

EC 261/2004 would require rebooking departing no more than 2 hours earlier or arriving more than 4 hours later. I presume that this change satisfies both, but it certainly satisfies the first test.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, FB Plat
Thanks a lot posting IBERIA guidelines. Today I argued with reference to it and suddenly: your refund is accepted. Frankly I thought Expedia is somewhat better than the rest of online agents, but this was so disappointing experience, full of lies and communication fails, hours of international calls on hold, no replies to email. I have been using expedia sometimes, since it gave a bit of flexibility with 24 hours (96 in case of weekend) cancel policy (even easier than canceling with airlines directly as it is possible online). But this story ruined my impression. So thanks again!
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nmsondrej
I have been using expedia sometimes, since it gave a bit of flexibility with 24 hours (96 in case of weekend) cancel policy (even easier than canceling with airlines directly as it is possible online).
A useful travel hack is to actually use the 24-hour cancellation policy. Book via the OTA if you must, to give yourself time to round up your herd of cats or whatever you need the 24 hours for, and then cancel and rebook direct once everything is completely firm.

Obviously if you are trying to book a mistake fare or something, then the fare will be gone within that 24-hour window.

But some of us use that trick over at Turkish when we need an e-ticket number to be able to check upgrade space, but would otherwise prefer to book direct.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Glad it worked out as it should have. Sometimes it is all about being polite but forceful and armed with the correct knowledge.

On the Expedia front, be very careful of the book, cancel & rebook scheme when using OW or any carrier which uses AA anti-fraud software,
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, FB Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Glad it worked out as it should have. Sometimes it is all about being polite but forceful and armed with the correct knowledge.

On the Expedia front, be very careful of the book, cancel & rebook scheme when using OW or any carrier which uses AA anti-fraud software,
thanks - just out of curiosity: what is aa anti-fraud sw? Do they ´flag´ you in case of canceling in 24 hours window for more than lets say one / two times a year?
seawolf likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Does this apply here? My understanding of EC261 is the passenger is entitled to receive a full refund in the event of a 5+ hour delay, measured beyond the scheduled time of departure.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, 5 hours is clearly spelled out in Article 6.1, towards the end. BA's Conditions of Carriage used to have a "significant change" provision, allowing arguments to be made in specific cases for shorter periods, but this has now gone to 5 hours for them too. In this Iberia case you can pursue Iberia directly for the refund, or get your credit card company to recall the payment to Expedia, if they are willing to do so. But making Iberia bookings with Expedia is an act of madness even in normal circumstances.
I think that you are referring to this:

1. When an operating air carrier reasonably expects a flight to be delayed beyond its scheduled time of departure:

passengers shall be offered by the operating air carrier:

(iii) when the delay is at least five hours, the assistance specified in Article 8(1)(a).
Note that the regulation specifically talks about a delay of five hours, but the flight isn't delayed. It departs eight hours earlier than initially scheduled.

What happens if you are rebooked to a flight which departs eight hours earlier than initially scheduled but you can't manage to reach the airport eight hours earlier? Will the airline have to rebook you if you show up shortly before the original departure time?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.