FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Expiring Vouchers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/2034829-expiring-vouchers.html)

OskiBear Feb 26, 2021 9:27 am

Expiring Vouchers

I just checked my vouchers issued for cancelled flights from last year - it was early in the COVID process and my trip was in mid-April. It wasn't abundantly clear at that time what this would all evolve into so I accepted vouchers.
However, I now see these are going to expire in June 2021 and I'm not sure it's entirely likely I'll be able to use them by then (mostly unlikely).
Does anyone have any experience with these being possibly extended under the current circumstances?

LukeO9 Mar 3, 2021 12:01 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 33063415)
Does anyone have any experience with these being possibly extended under the current circumstances?

Good question, which should include possible refunding (original flight value).
There had been a previous thread on this topic, but still a current issue.

craigthemif Mar 3, 2021 12:59 am

If the original flight was cancelled by IB, you may still be able to get a refund instead of a voucher. A small claims court would likely agree that you are entitled to a refund, notwithstanding the prior decision to take a voucher.

It might also be possible to make a new booking using your voucher, but then cancel that new booking to get a new voucher?

That said, I would be surprised if any airline was actually expiring vouchers from last year. IB simply may not have publicised (yet) an extension.

LukeO9 Mar 3, 2021 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 33073570)
That said, I would be surprised if any airline was actually expiring vouchers from last year. IB simply may not have publicised (yet) an extension.

I have a similar situation with Malaysia Airlines. The response to my recent request for refund of expiring voucher was basically a hint that existing voucher validity will be extended.

LukeO9 Mar 4, 2021 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 33073570)
If the original flight was cancelled by IB, you may still be able to get a refund instead of a voucher. A small claims court would likely agree that you are entitled to a refund, notwithstanding the prior decision to take a voucher.

I remember in June last year that Spain’s Ministry of Consumer Affairs announced it will approach the courts to stop the practice of offering vouchers instead of refunds and will fight to get passengers who accepted vouchers (for flights cancelled by airline) an opportunity for a full refund. Any update on this action?

LukeO9 Mar 4, 2021 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 33063415)
I just checked my vouchers issued for cancelled flights from last year....

Did the email notifying you of the cancellation state:
"Dear customer:
At Iberia we are aware that the current situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic generates unforeseen situations and disorders for our passengers. For this reason, we have decided to make the conditions of your flight more flexible.

For your convenience, we offer you the possibility of getting a refund of your booking ****** through a voucher for the amount of your tickets which you could use at any time."
?

If so, do highlight the fact that it states "refund through a voucher", not refund or voucher, when dealing with them.

craigthemif Mar 5, 2021 1:17 am

Originally Posted by LukeO9 (Post 33078119)
If so, do highlight the fact that it states "refund through a voucher", not refund or voucher, when dealing with them.

This is a combination of Iberia's dodgy Spanglish and their attempt to not offer proper refunds.

If you actually highlight "refund through a voucher" when you already have received a voucher, then you won't get anywhere. You need to ignore whatever IB has said and insist upon your right to a full refund. Unfortunately Spain doesn't really have a good small claims court procedure...

LukeO9 Mar 5, 2021 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 33078605)
If you actually highlight "refund through a voucher" when you already have received a voucher, then you won't get anywhere.

You're right. Its context is more applicable to assessment(s) by external bodies.

OskiBear Apr 14, 2021 10:01 am

Update - I just received an email from Iberia that my vouchers have been extended to April 2022. These were for flights that were originally to be taken in April 2020 and I was given 1-year vouchers that were then extended to June 2021.

LukeO9 Apr 14, 2021 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 33177058)
Update - I just received an email from Iberia that my vouchers have been extended to April 2022.

Good news.
What bugs me about voucher validity is that it has 2 temporal elements (book before X, for flights departing before X), yet often only 1 is announced.

LukeO9 Apr 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 33177058)
......I was given 1-year vouchers that were then extended to June 2021.

I've just checked my voucher online and it too has been extended. When Iberia lists the latest permitted travel date as 04/09/2022, is that 4th of Sep 22 ?

OskiBear Apr 14, 2021 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9 (Post 33178295)
I've just checked my voucher online and it too has been extended. When Iberia lists the latest permitted travel date as 04/09/2022, is that 4th of Sep 22 ?

I think so - mine go to 13/04/2022, so April 13th and Iberia is European so they use DD/MM/YYYY. It helps to recognize the format when the date is greater than 12 to know it’s not the month :-)

Are there countries than the US that use the MM/DD/YYYY format or are we the lone oddity in the world?

LukeO9 Apr 14, 2021 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 33178763)
...are we the lone oddity in the world?

Yes.
The confusion comes when non-US companies use US-made software that may or may not be standardized.

Thanks for the clarification.

taxatty56 Apr 16, 2021 11:17 am

When checking the IB website, the IB vouchers for my wife and I show "Expiry date 06/12/2022" and "Latest permitted travel date (Return) 12/31/2021."--presumably the latter is no longer correct and I need to contact IB to fix this?

LukeO9 Apr 18, 2021 2:30 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 33178763)
Iberia is European so they use DD/MM/YYYY.

I found that that date format, which is annoying coz its not necessary, is dependent on what country/language you set on the website.
Unfortunately, that means my voucher is 1 month short of when I want to use it.