Bos-Mad in Feb just cancelled

Old Oct 6, 20, 6:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 686
Bos-Mad in Feb just cancelled

Didn't think they would cancel so far in advance. They are offering a voucher good through Dec 2021, but I paid with points. Will I be able to get a full refund along with their $25 cancelation charge per ticket?
theplayer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 6:54 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,645
You should get your Avios and money back, with no need to pay the cancellation fee.

MAD-BOS is no surprise for cancellation. Already low yields in winter, but with COVID on top it does seem unlikely to have much demand.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 8:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MAD
Programs: IB+, BAEC
Posts: 2,611
If you're interested in keeping it, you can probably reschedule for spring/summer without having to worry about availability.
LupineChemist is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:36 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 10
I can also confirm my ORD-MAD on 20-Feb-2021(return on 28-Feb-2021) booked during the 50% Avios deal was also cancelled. Any combination of date changes on Iberia's site also gives me an error although the flight appears on Google Flights (exp. 10-Apr-2021).
jayfernandez is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:48 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 686
called in, they will issue full refund. Of course, no email confirmation
theplayer is offline  
Old Oct 9, 20, 1:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by jayfernandez View Post
I can also confirm my ORD-MAD on 20-Feb-2021(return on 28-Feb-2021) booked during the 50% Avios deal was also cancelled. Any combination of date changes on Iberia's site also gives me an error although the flight appears on Google Flights (exp. 10-Apr-2021).

same thing happened to me. booked 50% off and now nothing is available. i asked if i could be rebooked on BA for the same dates via LHR and they said no. I asked if i could change my US gateway to JFK or MIA, they said no. (in the agent's defense, he did put me on hold and ask the "iberia plus desk" if he could).

agent said first flight with availability from ORD-MAD was now the 3rd of April and wanted to know if it would work for me... this time my turn to say no.

any other data points? i recall seeing that BA was re-protecting avios tickets even into revenue classes of service due to all the covid changes? are we all really just out of luck until u-class inventory shows up on the route you originally paid for?

What about the poster above that booked out of boston? that flight probably won't come back for some time...
andrew10412 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 20, 1:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 10
Interesting they offered the 3-Apr-2021 as that is a black out date for me.

(*) Exceptions: Not valid for flights from 12/04/2020 - 12/09/2020, from 12/19/2020 - 01/10/2021, or from 03/24/2021 - 04/04/2021.
jayfernandez is offline  
Old Oct 9, 20, 2:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, FR
Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by andrew10412 View Post
same thing happened to me. booked 50% off and now nothing is available. i asked if i could be rebooked on BA for the same dates via LHR and they said no. I asked if i could change my US gateway to JFK or MIA, they said no. (in the agent's defense, he did put me on hold and ask the "iberia plus desk" if he could).

agent said first flight with availability from ORD-MAD was now the 3rd of April and wanted to know if it would work for me... this time my turn to say no.

any other data points? i recall seeing that BA was re-protecting avios tickets even into revenue classes of service due to all the covid changes? are we all really just out of luck until u-class inventory shows up on the route you originally paid for?

What about the poster above that booked out of boston? that flight probably won't come back for some time...
That is just unacceptable. They should, at the very least, offer a BA reroute on the same day.
Oxymore is offline  
Old Oct 10, 20, 6:29 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 686
received points back and full refund of fees within 5 days.
theplayer is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 3:35 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Iberia plus Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Accor Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3
Rerouted via LHR

I had also my MAD-BOS flight cancelled(I had my return from JFK) on Business and was rerouted through LHR, on the same date (Dec 21st). Was I lucky (Business ticket, 3 pax).

I did it via the Platinum contact center.
jonr405 likes this.
justthefactz is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 5:20 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, US
Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 243
Same for me, my Christmas break is kinda cancelled:
  • Dec 2019 ORD-MAD in J flight cancelled
  • Jan 2020 MAD-BOS in J flight cancelled
I called them to get any other day around the dates of my booking but nothing, I later tried asking to change to other route (like JFK, which seems to have still 1 flight operating) but no success.
Their only offer was to give me a voucher, which I obvs say "NO" after I paid a few thousands on 2 tickets at least I want my money back... This was all on the IB call center, later I called the BA Gold but unfortunately they cannot do anything (I was expecting that as the ticket is with IB)...

Not sure how to proceed, my next step seems to be calling IB again and asking them for a ticket with layover at LHR or a flight in AA DFW-MAD-DFW. However, I am feeling my Christmas will be in US this year and I will see whther I truly get my money reimbursed or just a voucher which is not likely I will use with IB.
Circusplaza is offline  
Old Oct 14, 20, 1:29 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,645
Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
However, I am feeling my Christmas will be in US this year and I will see whther I truly get my money reimbursed or just a voucher which is not likely I will use with IB.
I assume that you have an EU passport or EU family, because otherwise there was never much chance of doing Christmas in Europe...

Hope you get your refund. You might have push and push with IB, but you should eventually get it. (if not a credit card chargeback should do the trick...)
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 9:33 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, US
Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I assume that you have an EU passport or EU family, because otherwise there was never much chance of doing Christmas in Europe...

Hope you get your refund. You might have push and push with IB, but you should eventually get it. (if not a credit card chargeback should do the trick...)
I do hold an EU passport indeed, otherwise I agree with you that planning Christmas holidays in EU will be an utopy.
Circusplaza is offline  
Old Oct 26, 20, 12:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LCYJFKGIG
Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
Same for me, my Christmas break is kinda cancelled:
  • Dec 2019 ORD-MAD in J flight cancelled
  • Jan 2020 MAD-BOS in J flight cancelled
I called them to get any other day around the dates of my booking but nothing, I later tried asking to change to other route (like JFK, which seems to have still 1 flight operating) but no success.
Their only offer was to give me a voucher, which I obvs say "NO" after I paid a few thousands on 2 tickets at least I want my money back... This was all on the IB call center, later I called the BA Gold but unfortunately they cannot do anything (I was expecting that as the ticket is with IB)...

Not sure how to proceed, my next step seems to be calling IB again and asking them for a ticket with layover at LHR or a flight in AA DFW-MAD-DFW. However, I am feeling my Christmas will be in US this year and I will see whther I truly get my money reimbursed or just a voucher which is not likely I will use with IB.
Any luck getting re-routed? I have 2 flights with IB, both cancelled. When I called about the first cancellation they wouldn't re-route me on BA nor AA. The agent said call back in a few weeks as they may have added more flights... (My reaction was = ???)
jonr405 is offline  
Old Oct 26, 20, 1:11 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, FR
Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by jonr405 View Post
Any luck getting re-routed? I have 2 flights with IB, both cancelled. When I called about the first cancellation they wouldn't re-route me on BA nor AA. The agent said call back in a few weeks as they may have added more flights... (My reaction was = ???)
Yes, but the frontline representatives will need supervisor approval to reroute on AA/BA, and you will need to ask for them to talk to a supervisor, they won't proactively offer to do so.
Oxymore is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread