Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bos-Mad in Feb just cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Bos-Mad in Feb just cancelled

Didn't think they would cancel so far in advance. They are offering a voucher good through Dec 2021, but I paid with points. Will I be able to get a full refund along with their $25 cancelation charge per ticket?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You should get your Avios and money back, with no need to pay the cancellation fee.

MAD-BOS is no surprise for cancellation. Already low yields in winter, but with COVID on top it does seem unlikely to have much demand.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
If you're interested in keeping it, you can probably reschedule for spring/summer without having to worry about availability.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:36 pm

I can also confirm my ORD-MAD on 20-Feb-2021(return on 28-Feb-2021) booked during the 50% Avios deal was also cancelled. Any combination of date changes on Iberia's site also gives me an error although the flight appears on Google Flights (exp. 10-Apr-2021).
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

called in, they will issue full refund. Of course, no email confirmation
Old Oct 9, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jayfernandez
I can also confirm my ORD-MAD on 20-Feb-2021(return on 28-Feb-2021) booked during the 50% Avios deal was also cancelled. Any combination of date changes on Iberia's site also gives me an error although the flight appears on Google Flights (exp. 10-Apr-2021).

same thing happened to me. booked 50% off and now nothing is available. i asked if i could be rebooked on BA for the same dates via LHR and they said no. I asked if i could change my US gateway to JFK or MIA, they said no. (in the agent's defense, he did put me on hold and ask the "iberia plus desk" if he could).

agent said first flight with availability from ORD-MAD was now the 3rd of April and wanted to know if it would work for me... this time my turn to say no.

any other data points? i recall seeing that BA was re-protecting avios tickets even into revenue classes of service due to all the covid changes? are we all really just out of luck until u-class inventory shows up on the route you originally paid for?

What about the poster above that booked out of boston? that flight probably won't come back for some time...
Old Oct 9, 2020, 1:22 pm

Interesting they offered the 3-Apr-2021 as that is a black out date for me.

(*) Exceptions: Not valid for flights from 12/04/2020 - 12/09/2020, from 12/19/2020 - 01/10/2021, or from 03/24/2021 - 04/04/2021.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andrew10412
same thing happened to me. booked 50% off and now nothing is available. i asked if i could be rebooked on BA for the same dates via LHR and they said no. I asked if i could change my US gateway to JFK or MIA, they said no. (in the agent's defense, he did put me on hold and ask the "iberia plus desk" if he could).

agent said first flight with availability from ORD-MAD was now the 3rd of April and wanted to know if it would work for me... this time my turn to say no.

any other data points? i recall seeing that BA was re-protecting avios tickets even into revenue classes of service due to all the covid changes? are we all really just out of luck until u-class inventory shows up on the route you originally paid for?

What about the poster above that booked out of boston? that flight probably won't come back for some time...
That is just unacceptable. They should, at the very least, offer a BA reroute on the same day.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 6:29 am
Original Poster

received points back and full refund of fees within 5 days.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: Iberia plus Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Accor Platinum; IHG Platinum
Rerouted via LHR

I had also my MAD-BOS flight cancelled(I had my return from JFK) on Business and was rerouted through LHR, on the same date (Dec 21st). Was I lucky (Business ticket, 3 pax).

I did it via the Platinum contact center.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Same for me, my Christmas break is kinda cancelled:
  • Dec 2019 ORD-MAD in J flight cancelled
  • Jan 2020 MAD-BOS in J flight cancelled
I called them to get any other day around the dates of my booking but nothing, I later tried asking to change to other route (like JFK, which seems to have still 1 flight operating) but no success.
Their only offer was to give me a voucher, which I obvs say "NO" after I paid a few thousands on 2 tickets at least I want my money back... This was all on the IB call center, later I called the BA Gold but unfortunately they cannot do anything (I was expecting that as the ticket is with IB)...

Not sure how to proceed, my next step seems to be calling IB again and asking them for a ticket with layover at LHR or a flight in AA DFW-MAD-DFW. However, I am feeling my Christmas will be in US this year and I will see whther I truly get my money reimbursed or just a voucher which is not likely I will use with IB.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Circusplaza
However, I am feeling my Christmas will be in US this year and I will see whther I truly get my money reimbursed or just a voucher which is not likely I will use with IB.
I assume that you have an EU passport or EU family, because otherwise there was never much chance of doing Christmas in Europe...

Hope you get your refund. You might have push and push with IB, but you should eventually get it. (if not a credit card chargeback should do the trick...)
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I assume that you have an EU passport or EU family, because otherwise there was never much chance of doing Christmas in Europe...

Hope you get your refund. You might have push and push with IB, but you should eventually get it. (if not a credit card chargeback should do the trick...)
I do hold an EU passport indeed, otherwise I agree with you that planning Christmas holidays in EU will be an utopy.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Originally Posted by Circusplaza
Same for me, my Christmas break is kinda cancelled:
  • Dec 2019 ORD-MAD in J flight cancelled
  • Jan 2020 MAD-BOS in J flight cancelled
I called them to get any other day around the dates of my booking but nothing, I later tried asking to change to other route (like JFK, which seems to have still 1 flight operating) but no success.
Their only offer was to give me a voucher, which I obvs say "NO" after I paid a few thousands on 2 tickets at least I want my money back... This was all on the IB call center, later I called the BA Gold but unfortunately they cannot do anything (I was expecting that as the ticket is with IB)...

Not sure how to proceed, my next step seems to be calling IB again and asking them for a ticket with layover at LHR or a flight in AA DFW-MAD-DFW. However, I am feeling my Christmas will be in US this year and I will see whther I truly get my money reimbursed or just a voucher which is not likely I will use with IB.
Any luck getting re-routed? I have 2 flights with IB, both cancelled. When I called about the first cancellation they wouldn't re-route me on BA nor AA. The agent said call back in a few weeks as they may have added more flights... (My reaction was = ???)
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonr405
Any luck getting re-routed? I have 2 flights with IB, both cancelled. When I called about the first cancellation they wouldn't re-route me on BA nor AA. The agent said call back in a few weeks as they may have added more flights... (My reaction was = ???)
Yes, but the frontline representatives will need supervisor approval to reroute on AA/BA, and you will need to ask for them to talk to a supervisor, they won't proactively offer to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.