Search

50% avios discount Iberia +

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Iberia updated their promotion to include US residents
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:34 pm

It's very tempting, but I just don't think EEUU will allow US travelers by March. Death projections by December are very high, and it's unlikely a widely available vaccine with be dispersed by then. I think I would pull the trigger and gamble for late April but March seems dicey. Would be a huge gamble to transfer my points to AVIOS only to then have to have it tied there if flight is canceled.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Anlun
It's very tempting, but I just don't think EEUU will allow US travelers by March. Death projections by December are very high, and it's unlikely a widely available vaccine with be dispersed by then. I think I would pull the trigger and gamble for late April but March seems dicey. Would be a huge gamble to transfer my points to AVIOS only to then have to have it tied there if flight is canceled.
where are you seeing death projections for Dec?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’d agree with you, but I already had a lot of Avios with BA and they’re interchangeable. There are also some good domestic uses on AA with IB avios
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
where are you seeing death projections for Dec?
Univ of Washington projects 300k deaths by December. Obviously a ton of factors at play but the point is the number isn't going down in any way that would allow for reopening of borders.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:11 am

Mileage difference charged upon re-booking?

I'm surprised nobody here has asked that yet: does anyone know what is the IB policy (Corona or non-Corona) for rebooking an award in terms of mileage difference? What if I book speculatively for early March, IB cancel the flight and I want to rebook to sometime later in 2021 (after the March 15 promotion period).

Will they charge the extra miles since the 50% is no longer applicable for dates thereafter, or honor the ticket and let me rebook without extra miles deducted?
And what about voluntary changes, i.e. rebooking to a later date even IB didn't cancel the flight (although I think I know the answer)?

Sorry, I have not tried to change an IB Avios award booking before.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You will be charged the additional Avios.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Downside

The main downside with this promotion is that in the event you would want to cancel, you'd have to do it by contacting the call centre. You can't do it online. Getting through to someone who is willing to assist is always challenging. The wait for the taxes and avios reimbursement can be long.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by UKdiver
The main downside with this promotion is that in the event you would want to cancel, you'd have to do it by contacting the call centre. You can't do it online. Getting through to someone who is willing to assist is always challenging. The wait for the taxes and avios reimbursement can be long.
I'm not sure lately but my past experience with cancelling a couple of reward flights went smoothly. Last time in early 2019. And with Spanish speaking agents, of course.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UKdiver
This is of course, if you have trouble speaking Spanish but that’s not an issue here
Old Aug 30, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Was going to pull the trigger tonight but the blog I learned this from reported an incorrect Aug 31st end date, and whats more the promo ended at midnight Madrid time, which was an hour before I tried to make the reservation.

It's a shame, as BOS-MAD-PMI in business class was going for 51K Avios + ~$210 and I had just purchased a mess of Avios at a discounted 1.4c making this about a $900 ticket where the cash price is around $6K. I put the chance that I'd be able to enter in December at about 5-10% so maybe all I did was save myself the hassle of a cancellation.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joachimm

It's a shame, as BOS-MAD-PMI in business class was going for 51K Avios + ~$210 and I had just purchased a mess of Avios at a discounted 1.4c making this about a $900 ticket where the cash price is around $6K. I put the chance that I'd be able to enter in December at about 5-10% so maybe all I did was save myself the hassle of a cancellation.
1. It's 1% at most. No change of government --> no Americans in Spain until vaccinated. If Spain stayed closed for peak tourist season, they'll stay closed for off-peak.
2. I know PMI is still going to be warmer than BOS in December, but I'm not sure what the point of visiting Mallorca in December would be when you can't really go to the beach. Golf I guess, but even then AGP might be a better bet...

Saved yourself some hassle I'd say... But the play was to book during a 50% off period and see if IB+ cancels the flights and lets you change dates for free to summer 2021 or later.
raporot likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
1. It's 1% at most. No change of government --> no Americans in Spain until vaccinated. If Spain stayed closed for peak tourist season, they'll stay closed for off-peak.
2. I know PMI is still going to be warmer than BOS in December, but I'm not sure what the point of visiting Mallorca in December would be when you can't really go to the beach. Golf I guess, but even then AGP might be a better bet...

Saved yourself some hassle I'd say... But the play was to book during a 50% off period and see if IB+ cancels the flights and lets you change dates for free to summer 2021 or later.
We have many Beach options from BOS without restrictions (+ PCR test) so that's not why I'd be going, it would be to escape the drudgery of leafless, grey Boston in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And Mallorca seems temperate enough in December if not nearly warm enough to swim in the ocean or a rooftop pool.

I hadn't thought about the cancellation strategy- great idea.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by joachimm
And Mallorca seems temperate enough in December if not nearly warm enough to swim in the ocean or a rooftop pool..
If the weather is anything like Valencia in December, it sadly won't be fine for swimming in the ocean. I'd expect it to be pleasant weather with lots of sun, but not overly warm.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
There are also some good domestic uses on AA with IB avios
Indeed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.