Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia and Iberia Express Free Baggage Allowance for QR Privilege Club Gold Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia and Iberia Express Free Baggage Allowance for QR Privilege Club Gold Members

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat, HHilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade

Hello everyone , I have two questions:

1) I am flying with Iberia (LHR-PMI) and I have put in my frequent flyer number associated with Qatar Airways for which I have a OneWorld Sapphire status. This seems to not have changed my additional baggage allowance. Do I just show up in the airport and request for it?

2) I booked a separate flight with Iberia Express (PMI-MAD). It seems to me that only American/British Airways Sapphire members are entitled to the free baggage allowance. Is this the case and could this be extended to other OneWorld members?

Last edited by jorayfly24; Jul 7, 2020 at 7:23 pm Reason: Make title clearer
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
1. IME your booking won't update to reflect your Sapphire status, but you will have no problems checking in a bag on IB mainline flights...

2. For Iberia Express, I'm not sure because my status is with BA so it's never been an issue. If you booked it as an I2 flight then you definitely don't get Oneworld benefits. But I'm not quite sure when booking under an IB code.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
why is the baggage information on the IB websites wrt OW status so terrible? oy!

so i have a flight BER-MAD-BCN booked with BA Avios, in business.

I am a BA GGL/OWE.

the BER-MAD sector is Iberia Express in biz, the MAD-BCN sector is Iberia.

among the three of us we will check 6 bags which is fine, my concern is specifically about my two bags which each weigh 26kg, over the 23kg checked limit--my understanding is at least on Iberia, as a BA OWE, I am entitled to 32kg, but what is not clear is if the same rule applies on IB express, and also due to this being a mixed itin between IB and IBE. anyone have a guess??
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by VSLover
why is the baggage information on the IB websites wrt OW status so terrible? oy!

so i have a flight BER-MAD-BCN booked with BA Avios, in business.

I am a BA GGL/OWE.

the BER-MAD sector is Iberia Express in biz, the MAD-BCN sector is Iberia.

among the three of us we will check 6 bags which is fine, my concern is specifically about my two bags which each weigh 26kg, over the 23kg checked limit--my understanding is at least on Iberia, as a BA OWE, I am entitled to 32kg, but what is not clear is if the same rule applies on IB express, and also due to this being a mixed itin between IB and IBE. anyone have a guess??
Overweight is free for Business travellers.

So you can take 6 pieces in total, 32kg each + plus your extra piece as a BA OWE.
VSLover likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:02 am

IB Express makes no difference. If you are a BA OWE, your bags can be 32 kg at no charge even in Basic Economy. In this example, on business, passengers with no status can also check 32 kg bags at no charge.

IB makes it confusing because, instead of saying that your allowance is 32 kg, it says that it is 23 kg but that the overweight fee is waived.
VSLover likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tobsw
Overweight is free for Business travellers.

So you can take 6 pieces in total, 32kg each + plus your extra piece as a BA OWE.
Originally Posted by Yllanes
IB Express makes no difference. If you are a BA OWE, your bags can be 32 kg at no charge even in Basic Economy. In this example, on business, passengers with no status can also check 32 kg bags at no charge.

IB makes it confusing because, instead of saying that your allowance is 32 kg, it says that it is 23 kg but that the overweight fee is waived.
thank you both so much. too much overthinking and reading too literally i suppose and appreciate the confirmations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.