Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying to Spain Mid July from ORD....anyone else? Feelings??

Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

I am flying to Spain via Iberia from ORD to MAD mid July. I am going on business. Do I HAVE to go,....no. I have been watching the situation in Spain for the last 3 weeks and the situation looks very good in terms of low numbers etc.

i am traveling now within the US and am careful. I think the level of risk currently in Madrid is the same as an place in the us.

My plan is to eat only outside. No internal tapas bars for me on this trip. No metro. One hotel... stay outside.

I am not concerned with airports or the plane. Airports are wide open and not too busy especially Barajas. and the AIrbus 350 is mixes 50% fresh air all the time and the other air is cleaned via HEPA filters.... as clean as a surgery room.

anyone else flying from US to MAD around that time or Aug?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The plan is to open travel to non-EU citizens/residents from 1 July, but concern is being expressed at rising US cases. That could change.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I haven't read anything that suggests that flights / tourists from the US will be allowed in mid July.

Only the Schengen borders are being opened.

I also don't see why IB would fly to ORD with the US borders still firmly shut to foreigners.

It's also worth mentioning that Spanish residents have lost the plot. Back to standard behaviour. Beaches and bars full, etc. Everybody going everywhere at the same time. A spike in COVID cases is likely IMO.
spotbeagle likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I haven't read anything that suggests that flights / tourists from the US will be allowed in mid July.

I also don't see why IB would fly to ORD with the US borders still firmly shut to foreigners.

It's also worth mentioning that Spanish residents have lost the plot. Back to standard behaviour. Beaches and bars full, etc. A spike in COVID cases is likely IMO.
July 3rd no quarantine for US travelers into Spain. I am booked on a nonstop from ORD to MAD. Your comment with respect to climbing cases is valid. if cases start to spike much higher in Spain I will not go. But things look good now.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:02 am
Original Poster

It's also worth mentioning that Spanish residents have lost the plot. Back to standard behaviour. Beaches and bars full, etc. Everybody going everywhere at the same time. A spike in COVID cases is likely IMO.
No tapas bars for me this trip. Terrassas only... and walking or Taxi..,. no metro
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by feysul
July 3rd no quarantine for US travelers into Spain. I am booked on a nonstop from ORD to MAD. Your comment with respect to climbing cases is valid. if cases start to spike much higher in Spain I will not go. But things look good now.
The statement was that there is no announced opening to non-EU citizens/residents. I think I read somewhere that Spain is opening to all travellers from 1 July (this could change), but a local will know better I suppose.
feysul likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The statement was that there is no announced opening to non-EU citizens/residents. I think I read somewhere that Spain is opening to all travellers from 1 July (this could change), but a local will know better I suppose.
I think the appropriate distinction is where you're coming from, not your nationality.

Apart from Schengen, I understand everything to depend on reciprocal arrangements. Since the US won't be letting in Spanish citizens, I don't expect direct flights to operate. But perhaps an American willing to route via elsewhere might get in.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:25 am
Original Poster

I think the appropriate distinction is where you're coming from, not your nationality.

Apart from Schengen, I understand everything to depend on reciprocal arrangements. Since the US won't be letting in Spanish citizens, I don't expect direct flights to operate. But perhaps an American willing to route via elsewhere might get in.
There are direct flights on Iberia from Chicago and NY to Madrid in July. I am on one of them confirmed.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
El Pais in English is a good resource for anyone who isn't fluent in Spanish but wants to be kept up-to-date with most of the major news here.

This is a link to the latest news regarding the border:

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...n-june-21.html
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are direct flights on Iberia from Chicago and NY to Madrid in July. I am on one of them confirmed.
It's entirely possible that IB haven't cancelled the flights yet because they are delaying having to refund passengers.

I'm not aware of a list of "flights we are definitely going to operate no matter what".
Twickenham and Twickenham like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by feysul;32if457979
if not operating you could be put on a BA flight thru LHR or even on an AA flight to a European destination connecting to IB.
feysul likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Any of those flights could be cancelled tomorrow.
feysul likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There is AA 36 DFW-MAD that operates in June, so my understanding is that this will continue in the summer regardless. The situation appears erratic though, some days AA36 is zeroed out on EF, even though the flight appears quite full from the seatmap, w t f...so annoying...

The timatic for Spain says only EU nationals returning to their residency country are allowed in. Does it mean that EU citizens cannot enter or transit Spain if they are just transiting to another EU country, if they don't live there permanently?

Last edited by nk15; Jun 16, 2020 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
A bit outdated, as our prime minister changes direction frequently. But from the US Embassy, Madrid:
"U.S. citizens without Spanish/EU/Schengen citizenship/residency likely will be barred from entering or transiting Spain by air, land, and sea."
This could change after June 23rd (lockdown ended, with certain restrictions) or after July 1st (Spain open to visitors from Schengen countries). But the news (Google it) is full of stories of countries (not in Europe, mostly in Asia), that are opening to visitors from Europe, but not from the US. The US is still perceived in much of the world as having handled COVID-19 very badly, and still having more problems and contagion than countries that have "recovered."
This could all change in a few days, and as Jackr27 says above, probably you should follow the news daily. Buen viaje! (Seriously)
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am trying to predict which flight combos are more likely to make it for third week of July.
DFW-MAD (AA36)-ATH(IB) or
DFW-LHR(AA20) -ATH(BA).
This whole situation is so annoying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.