MEX-MAD flight dilemma

Old Mar 15, 20, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Arrow MEX-MAD flight dilemma

I hope this is ok here - we are a bit stuck for sources of assistance!

My wife and I are due to fly MEX-MAD with Iberia very early on Tuesday morning (0005 departure from MEX). We then have a layover in MAD and are due to fly back from there with BA on Wednesday morning. This is booked on separate tickets, MAD-LHR was a reward booking if that makes any difference.

Obviously given what is happening in Spain we would rather avoid traveling via Madrid when there is a direct flight from MEX-LHR.

We've just tried to call Amex insurance and they are closed at the weekend so I was hoping for some advice on what to do next.

​​​​We have the means to just book ourselves on the direct flight, but would Amex cover this now the FCO has put Spain on the list of essential travel only countries?

The other option is to try to do battle with Iberia - we could try to call them, or visit them at Mexico City airport as we fly in to there this afternoon. Is there any chance they'd put us on the BA flight given that as far as they are concerned our final destination is Madrid?

I apologise if this isn't the right place but we're watching all this unfold in Mexico and it is hard for us to work out what's what.

Any advice would be very gratefully received!
Old Mar 15, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BigVince76 View Post
I hope this is ok here - we are a bit stuck for sources of assistance!

My wife and I are due to fly MEX-MAD with Iberia very early on Tuesday morning (0005 departure from MEX). We then have a layover in MAD and are due to fly back from there with BA on Wednesday morning. This is booked on separate tickets, MAD-LHR was a reward booking if that makes any difference.

Obviously given what is happening in Spain we would rather avoid traveling via Madrid when there is a direct flight from MEX-LHR.

We've just tried to call Amex insurance and they are closed at the weekend so I was hoping for some advice on what to do next.

​​​​We have the means to just book ourselves on the direct flight, but would Amex cover this now the FCO has put Spain on the list of essential travel only countries?

The other option is to try to do battle with Iberia - we could try to call them, or visit them at Mexico City airport as we fly in to there this afternoon. Is there any chance they'd put us on the BA flight given that as far as they are concerned our final destination is Madrid?

I apologise if this isn't the right place but we're watching all this unfold in Mexico and it is hard for us to work out what's what.

Any advice would be very gratefully received!
Try this number. (+52)55 15 00 35 51 local Mexico reservations office.
​​
Offers help in Spanish and English.

Going to the airport might work, but be aware BA only open for a few hours in the evening for the evening departure. The Iberia office should be open there though.
Old Mar 15, 20, 9:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BigVince76 View Post
It's probably best handled in the Iberia forum, since it's that airline's rules here. But since I'm the Mod of that forum I better reply here anyway! Iberia has an identical voucher system to BA. So one option is to go through that voucher system, rebook yourself and ask Amex to cover any shortfall. Since Amex opens tomorrow they would be best to look at this since you have over a day in hand here to take further action. Obviously keep an eye on BA's flights between MAD and LHR .

Having said that, I personally see no harm in a brief transfer in MAD, the risk transferring there is surely minute, so long as sensible precautions such as handwashing are observed.
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It's probably best handled in the Iberia forum, since it's that airline's rules here. But since I'm the Mod of that forum I better reply here anyway! Iberia has an identical voucher system to BA. So one option is to go through that voucher system, rebook yourself and ask Amex to cover any shortfall. Since Amex opens tomorrow they would be best to look at this since you have over a day in hand here to take further action. Obviously keep an eye on BA's flights between MAD and LHR .

Having said that, I personally see no harm in a brief transfer in MAD, the risk transferring there is surely minute, so long as sensible precautions such as handwashing are observed.
Thank you, and apologies for not using the Iberia forum.

Our layover in Madrid is c. 20 hours, so we'll be in a hotel - while we aren't worried particularly about catching anything, it's more about the burden on stretched facilities and the potential of being stuck without access to taxis etc that is a concern.

Thanks again everyone who responded.
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:42 am

Ok, I'd try the Iberia option at the airport and keep trying their local line. The BA flights I just checked are going for hefty amounts. Some 35k-40k pesos in Economy, which is about 1600-1800 USD per ticket. I don't know what the load factors are looking like, but hopefully they'll be understanding and can shift you.

I'm going to Inbox you the email address of the Iberia lady who normally looks after people through the Chamber of Commerce in Mexico.

If you need any local help, please just ask. I've been in Mex some 12 years, so know my way around.

Warm wishes
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Separate tickets means that IB has no obligation to get you to London. If their flight is cancelled, however, I'm sure that sending you on the BA plane will be their intention. But not until their own flight is cancelled... (if it happens)

There is so much fine print within insurance policies that it's hard to generalise about what insurance will cover. I dare say though that "essential travel only" does include returning home. Dis-inclination to connect via MAD probably isn't covered.

I would certainly consider buying another ticket MAD-LHR for Tuesday to avoid the overnight in a hotel. Or just get a hotel near the airport. To avoid the economy tanking completely, people in Spain are allowed to go to work, use public transport, etc. So I'm sure that taxi drivers will be out and about, trying to earn whatever money they can. Hotels will be able to feed you (but not restaurants), etc.
TTmex likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:52 am

If it helps, I checked seatspy and there is plenty of reward availability tomorrow in economy. If you have some avios sitting around, could be a cheaper way to get home.

BW
Tom
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.

We've got plenty of time this evening so will try Iberia at the airport (and I will email the contact provided - thanks TTmex!).

​​​​​ We'll look at switching the MAD-LHR BA flight too.
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:29 am

Did you make any progress?
Old Mar 16, 20, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Did you make any progress?
I'm Mrs BigVince76. We tried at the airport but couldn't find a ticket desk and the check-in staff just gave us a phone number to call, but they weren't open yesterday. I'm not sure if they'd have been open today as we discovered it is a public holiday, which we hadn't realised.

​​​​​We decided it was easier to just change our BA flight to one of the Tuesday evening departures, thus avoiding the overnight in Madrid.

Hopefully our UK passports will mean we can get back in to Europe even if borders are closed!
TTmex likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: