Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB's Coronavirus Rebooking Policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA, Latam, Delta, AA
Originally Posted by zap98139
Update: I just spoke with a CSR who told me they can only reschedule my award flight or give me a voucher. He said I could not cancel the flight and get a refund of the points. That doesn't make any sense to me...how can I get a voucher for my award booking? Decided to HUCA. Currently on hold....
pls keep us updated. is the voucher in $? Does it relate to the amount of pts you spent?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Along with some other posters, I’m confused by Iberia’s explanation on their website (won’t requote – cited in # 5 and #10 , above).

If I request a “bonus” (Iberia’s mis-translation of bono, a voucher or chit) can I use it to purchase a new ticket for travel any time up until December 1st, or do the blackout periods that apply to date changes also apply to tickets purchased with our “bonus”?
And if the latter, would Brussels have something to say about this?

Thanks

Last edited by spainflyer; Mar 12, 2020 at 2:32 am Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It's a bit of a Spanish mystery to navigate through these murky waters. I requested the cancellation online yesterday to get my "bonus" and received this email in response:Estimado cliente,

Gracias por contactarnos.

Actualmente estamos gestionando su petición y, si ésta cumple con las condiciones publicadas aquí, nos pondremos en contacto con usted, en un plazo estimado de 5 días hábiles, en el correo electrónico que nos ha proporcionado en esta solicitud: [numbers redacted].

Reciba un cordial saludo,
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Oski - Yes, I just filled out the online form to get my "bonus" and got the same reply. But...my flight is in 2 days. "We will contact you within five days" is a recipe for disaster. I have called both the Spanish Iberia Plus line and the UK Iberia line, and the wait time is eternity. Not sure what I will do next -- possibly call tonight at 3 am. I cannot let Iberia say I am a "no show" on Saturday because they "didn't have time" to get to my request. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Iberia just cancelled part of my trip and they seem to re booked me to the previous day flight. On manage my booking it says to get in contact with customer services. Anyone knows if i can ask for a full refund as they have changed the date? The flight is for April and its to Colombia...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ga8riel
pls keep us updated. is the voucher in $? Does it relate to the amount of pts you spent?
I just posted in another thread—I was able to get through right away by calling 1 800 772 4642, stating “Avios Booking” when prompted to say what I’m calling about, then enter in my Avios number when prompted, followed by my passport number when asked to enter ID information. Then say yes to confirm you want to talk to a representative.

I was connected with an agent immediately, gave my last name and record locator, and cancelled on the spot. Refund should "process" in 72-hours, and Avios returned in 5 biz days.
flockavelliFT likes this.

Last edited by zap98139; Mar 13, 2020 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA, Latam, Delta, AA
Originally Posted by zap98139
I just posted in another thread—I was able to get through right away by calling 1 800 772 4642, stating “Avios Booking” when prompted to say what I’m calling about, then enter in my Avios number when prompted, followed by my passport number when prompted to enter ID information. Then say yes to confirm you want to talk to a representative.

I was connected with an agent immediately, gave my last name and record locator, and cancelled on the spot. Refund should process in 72-hours, and Avios returned in 5 biz days.
Neat, thanks for letting me know.
Did you opt for the bonus? You said initially when you spoke to CSR they couldnt cancel.
Thanks!!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:45 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Just to update, I was successful changing flights to Valencia via Madrid (from Zurich).

I was lucky in I was able to phone them up just now (4.45am Madrid) and was on hold for maybe 15 minutes to the Oro line.

Was a very simple process.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:50 am

Thanks Zap 98139 and others. Tired of being on hold in Madrid I called the UK Iberia line at just after 6 am today, got through after about 20 minutes, and the agent clarified that the only option using Iberia’s online form is to receive a bonus. All re-bookings have to be done via an agent by telephone. To quote: I should receive my bonus via email “soon.” Fingers crossed.

Last edited by spainflyer; Mar 13, 2020 at 2:40 am Reason: Misspelling
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Many thanks from me too.. I cancelled an award booking by calling the US 1-800 number detailed above and was speaking to a person in less than 3 minutes. I used skype and it cost nothing phoning from Europe.

Ten minutes later it was all done and dusted. The money should be back on my card with four weeks and the avios back within a week.. (note the word should in that last sentence - this is Iberia after all)

All the best in these difficult times.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ga8riel
Neat, thanks for letting me know.
Did you opt for the bonus? You said initially when you spoke to CSR they couldnt cancel.
Thanks!!
I think the first rep that I spoke to didn't really know what he was doing as he couldn't explain how the voucher would work for an award booking. By calling the U.S. number and saying "Avios Booking," I was able to just do a straight cancel/refund.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Down the rabbit hole with Iberia, the saga continues.
I had a trip booked with Iberia for early-April: LAX-LHR, CDG-MAD-JFK
Last week, I submitted the form online for the voucher and received email confirmation to wait five days (still not response).
Oddly enough, this morning I received an email from BA (the LAX-LHR segment was a codeshare operated by BA) advising the flight is still scheduled but that I could request a voucher for future travel if I wanted. Even more odd, it was a completely new/different PNR, which confused me greatly. I've always accessed/managed this reservation via the original PNR from Iberia and it's been the same as the one I've managed the flight (seat selection, passenger info) on BA.com.
Not sure what to make of this. I realize they are overwhelmed, but this is just getting more confusing!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:57 am

It's normal with codeshares to have several differnt PNRs.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:19 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I submitted a voucher (at some point they changed the old "bonus" translation to "voucher") request for flights for me and Mrs. dstan that were scheduled for Saturday. Received a weird email today stating that it had been denied for one of 4 reasons, but not which one! The last reason was that I'd already submitted a voucher request for the same reservation, so it could be just that I submitted voucher requests separately for myself and Mrs. dstan. Will wait and see.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by dstan
I submitted a voucher (at some point they changed the old "bonus" translation to "voucher") request for flights for me and Mrs. dstan that were scheduled for Saturday. Received a weird email today stating that it had been denied for one of 4 reasons, but not which one! The last reason was that I'd already submitted a voucher request for the same reservation, so it could be just that I submitted voucher requests separately for myself and Mrs. dstan. Will wait and see.
I got the same email for my IB reservation. I guess IB is the worst airline in such crisis and they are avoiding as much as possible refunds or reservation changes despite Spain being one of the most infected countries with Corona virus in the world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.