Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled, but Iberia would still penalize me

Old Mar 5, 20, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest

Due to Israel's stringent coronavirus policy, Iberia and several other carriers have cancelled flights to TLV March 10-20. And while Iberia shows you cannot book flights on those days, it has yet to officially cancel my March 14 MAD-TLV flight. When I called Iberia (no easy task), they said it's still considered an active reservation and thus would penalize me for redepositing Avios if I requested my points back now. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!
Old Mar 5, 20, 4:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Why not wait a day or so for the flight to be cancelled...?
Old Mar 5, 20, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Why should it take a day or two to notify passengers that their flight has been cancelled? Not everyone reads the travel blog where I learned of these wholesale cancellations, and it's a fair bet many passengers are unaware of it. I did not see a link on the Iberia website to any coronavirus cancellation info, but if you try to book a flight to or from TLV in that time period, you will see there are no flights. As I said, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
If that's the worst customer service you've ever experienced, congratulations.
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
You got one agent that read off their screen. Chill out, it will be cancelled in due course.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by freebee View Post
Why should it take a day or two to notify passengers that their flight has been cancelled? Not everyone reads the travel blog where I learned of these wholesale cancellations, and it's a fair bet many passengers are unaware of it. I did not see a link on the Iberia website to any coronavirus cancellation info, but if you try to book a flight to or from TLV in that time period, you will see there are no flights. As I said, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER
It is fairly common that airlines will usually zero out availability before cancelling the flights.
Further, passengers on connecting flights or residents of Israel can still travel.
Bearing in mind that travel restrictions are changing rapidly, this may be IB being cautiously prudent.
Old Mar 6, 20, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by freebee View Post
WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!
Not at all. There's no reason why the flight absolutely must be cancelled. Israelis are allowed to return home. Moreover, foreigners are still allowed to travel there, provided they have made arrangements to quarantine themselves. Israel may change its policy.

All IB have done is stop selling tickets due to the uncertainty.

There's nothing stopping you from paying a minor fee to cancel. Otherwise you wait for IB to decide that you won't be allowed to enter Israel and you get your refund for free.

If this is absolutely the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER, then you haven't travelled much...
ubiest and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have a pressing need for the avios in order to purchase tickets to somewhere else in the next day, I would call IB back and ask for a manager to sort this.

But, barring that, just wait a day or two and this will all sort itself out.

Before asserting that this is the "worst customer service ever" you might want to put your situation in the context of a global health crisis and focus there.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 7:00 am
Original Poster

I am not comparing this situation to a global health crisis, but when Iberia finally shows my flight as cancelled, but then 12 HOURS LATER responds to my email and states that the reservation is still active, they have a problem. It is now two days since the flight cancellation, and still no word to passengers. My assessment stands.
Old Mar 7, 20, 4:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
https://www.iberiagencias.com/Iberia...showNoticia.do

Search this Thread
Search Engine: