Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Need to see how many Avios a flight costs before transferring

Old Mar 2, 20, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold

I need to see how many Avios it would cost to fly BOS-MAD in April (my exact dates are not yet known). I have plenty of both Chase and Amex points to transfer to my Iberia account, but the Iberia website won't allow me to pretend to book without enough Avios in my account (I have zero).

Is there any workaround for this? I do not want to transfer points unless I know what my options are. I might book J or Premium Economy, etc depending on the points.
Old Mar 2, 20, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Graciecatt View Post
I need to see how many Avios it would cost to fly BOS-MAD in April (my exact dates are not yet known). I have plenty of both Chase and Amex points to transfer to my Iberia account, but the Iberia website won't allow me to pretend to book without enough Avios in my account (I have zero).

Is there any workaround for this? I do not want to transfer points unless I know what my options are. I might book J or Premium Economy, etc depending on the points.
For the Iberia Plus program, some dates in April are considered peak; others are off-peak. You can view the calendar here:

https://pointstobemade.boardingarea....peak-calendar/

BOS-MAD one-way in Business Class should cost 34,000 Avios on an off-peak date. Not sure what it costs on a peak date.

The aa.com website should show IB award availability -- if there is any. No log-in required to do an award search on aa.com.
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
For the Iberia Plus program, some dates in April are considered peak; others are off-peak. You can view the calendar here:

https://pointstobemade.boardingarea....peak-calendar/

BOS-MAD one-way in Business Class should cost 34,000 Avios on an off-peak date. Not sure what it costs on a peak date.

The aa.com website should show IB award availability -- if there is any. No log-in required to do an award search on aa.com.
Wow that was super helpful! Thank you! According to GCmaps.com, BOS-MAD is 3,410 miles. Then looking at the BA Avios Award Chart, which I assume is the same for Iberia, shows for Peak (worst case):
- Peak Economy 20,000 one way
- Peak Premium Economy 40,000 one way (wow double!)
- Peak Business 60,000 one way

How did you see one way Business class for 34,000 even being off peak? Never mind, saw it on a different website. I will hope for the best to get an off-peak date!

Last edited by Graciecatt; Mar 2, 20 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow that was super helpful! Thank you! According to GCmaps.com, BOS-MAD is 3,410 miles. Then looking at the BA Avios Award Chart, which I assume is the same for Iberia, shows for Peak (worst case):
- Peak Economy 20,000 one way
- Peak Premium Economy 40,000 one way (wow double!)
- Peak Business 60,000 one way

How did you see one way Business class for 34,000 even being off peak? Never mind, saw it on a different website. I will hope for the best to get an off-peak date!
See this helpful post:

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways...ia-plus-avios/

(I would not assume that BAEC and Iberia Plus redemption rates are the same. )
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Also - is there a way to prospectively know what the taxes and fees will be? They would most certainly be more on a flight with a stop in LHR, etc, instead of direct to MAD, correct? One article quoted the business class fare to add $456 even on the off peak 34,000 avios price.
Old Mar 2, 20, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also - is there a way to prospectively know what the taxes and fees will be? They would most certainly be more on a flight with a stop in LHR, etc, instead of direct to MAD, correct? One article quoted the business class fare to add $456 even on the off peak 34,000 avios price.
IB does not offer nonstop service from the U.S. to LHR. If you can only get to MAD via LHR on BA, you will indeed be hit with very high cash surcharges. Stay on IB metal, and you will have no problem.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 2, 20, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you can find award space in Business Class you book it. No questions asked.

You pay roughly the same in taxes and surcharges (as PE) and just a few thousand more Avios each way.

You only book IB metal via IB+...
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 2, 20, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iberia Plus has more than one redemption chart. The redemption chart for award travel on Iberia metal is the second chart displayed here:

https://travelisfree.com/the-7-iberi...-award-charts/
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
If you can find award space in Business Class you book it. No questions asked.

You pay roughly the same in taxes and surcharges (as PE) and just a few thousand more Avios each way.

You only book IB metal via IB+...
OK so I'll go for Business if they have it rather than PE once I get my dates. Thank you!

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Iberia Plus has more than one redemption chart. The redemption chart for award travel on Iberia metal is the second chart displayed here:

https://travelisfree.com/the-7-iberi...-award-charts/
This has been more confusing that it needs to be! But thank you for all your help. I have found so many redemption charts for BA and Iberia and it's been hard to figure out if they're the same chart or different. I will use this link when I know my dates.

Also - I'll be on Iberia metal BOS-MAD, right? I think I'll be sticking to the direct/nonstop flight if I can make it work - I think there's only 1 flight/day that's direct/nonstop. Do you have any sense of whether I can hold an award flight until my Amex MR transfers over? It says Amex takes 1 - 3 days to transfer points to Avios. I have more MR than Chase UR so I'd rather use some of them even though Chase transfers instantly.
Old Mar 3, 20, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
AFAIK IB+ doesn't do award holds. You'll have to take the risk, although with the coronavirus planes are emptying, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about missing out.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
AFAIK IB+ doesn't do award holds. You'll have to take the risk, although with the coronavirus planes are emptying, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about missing out.
True.

When Iberia says 1 carryon bag, does that mean I can't also have a personal item? I never check bags so I would be traveling with a small backpack and a wheeled carryon. But it would be really hard to do this trip with just a carryon or just my backpack.

I tried to do a pretend paid booking since I have zero Avios and I can't see the seating chart for the flight. How do I get a sense of how many open seats there are on the flight at this point?
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:50 am
Original Poster

OMG I've found so many different peak and off peak calendars for Iberia from a google search. I'm concerned b/c my probably dates are 4/3 or 4/4 - 4/8 or 4/9. These dates are listed differently in these 3 peak/off peak calendars. I would love those dates to be off peak - if yes, I'd splurge for a business seat.

Thoughts?

This is from Iberia's website, which I should probably use:
Iberia's website peak/off peak calendar

This is from The Miles Genie
The Miles Genie

And this is from Points to be Made:
Points to be Made
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:24 am

It changes every year. The one on the Iberia website is correct.

No problems with a carry-on and a personal item. Within Europe an American supersized rollaboard might not be allowed however, but from the US to Madrid in Business Class it probably would be fine.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:50 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP Gold
OMG I've found so many different peak and off peak calendars for Iberia from a google search. I'm concerned b/c my probably dates are 4/3 or 4/4 - 4/8 or 4/9. These dates are listed differently in these 3 peak/off peak calendars. I would love those dates to be off peak - if yes, I'd splurge for a business seat.
You are travelling over Easter, which means peak dates.

I have searched for those dates and find no availability on Business. All of them except April 8 have availability on Premium Economy (and that day there is availabilty on Economy). On April 4 the cost for PE is 25.5k Avios one way, the other days it costs 35.5k.

The total amount in taxes and fees for the return itinerary on PE is € 164.39 (+60.5k Avios if you travel on April 4 - April 9).
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes View Post
You are travelling over Easter, which means peak dates.

I have searched for those dates and find no availability on Business. All of them except April 8 have availability on Premium Economy (and that day there is availabilty on Economy). On April 4 the cost for PE is 25.5k Avios one way, the other days it costs 35.5k.

The total amount in taxes and fees for the return itinerary on PE is 164.39 (+60.5k Avios if you travel on April 4 - April 9).
Thank you - that's super helpful. I forgot about Easter. I wish I could do an actual search and see seats but since I have zero Avios it won't let me. And obviously I don't want to transfer any more points than is absolutely necessary. That's why I tried the pretend paid booking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: