Question about Avios cancellation rules

Old Feb 12, 20, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Question about Avios cancellation rules

With BA the cancellation fee for award bookings is the lower of 35 and the cash actually paid for the ticket if that was less than 35. Is the position is the same with IB ? If I buy an IB ticket that costs 6,000 Avios and 16.50, is my max cancellation fee capped at 16.50 ?

Another question changes: The Iberia T&C for a ticket just booked say this :-

"Change Permitted before flight departure with a surcharge of €25. Only permitted on IB, YW, I2 and BA flights (except flight series 5xxx).
refund (in each direction) Permitted with a surcharge of €25 up to 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on the ticket, as long as this does not include any IB5XXX flight. Refunds only permitted on flights with codes IB, YW, I2 and BA, unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme."

Does this mean that within the final 24 hour window, changes (but not cancellations) are allowed? This would be quite a significant difference from BA, which allows neither cancellations nor changes within that 24 hr window.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It is certainly risky to rely on getting through to a competent IB+ agent with just a few hours to go before your flight.

But I understand that changes are relatively simple for an agent to process, whilst refunds go to a different department. (which is why they generally take awhile to process) So it does appear that you can change your flight up until the last minute - just make sure you aren't checked in, as offloading a passenger is also something the agent might not be able to handle.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
You can change your flights up to the departure time, even with check-in done. I have done this before, with a BA fight booked with Avios at IbPlus. Had a 7 am departure, but at 8pm the night before BA released some availability later in the day. Quick call to Iberia Plus to change flights +25EUR. I had already my 7 am BA boarding pass in my phone.

The lowest CS agents are able to do changes without problems.
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post

The lowest CS agents are able to do changes without problems.
That is assuming a general level of competence and English language skills that just doesn't exist.

But good to know that some agents have offloaded without issue...
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Slightly different question but not to open a new threat, I ask here: if someone wants to change an award ticket booked under a special promotion, for instance 50% miles discount for holding an Iberia credit card, how does it work? Amount of miles needed for the award would be recalculated?

Thanks,

Search this Thread
Search Engine: