Avios booking query - Mixed classes

Old Feb 6, 20, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Avios booking query - Mixed classes

I am looking to make an Iberia Avios booking XXX - MAD (longhual) connecting to MAD - LHR. Both flights have IB flight numbers.

I want to fly the longhaul in business and the MAD-LHR sector in economy.

I have two questions :-

1. I am being offered a choice of either Blue or Economy for the shorthaul MAD-LHR flight. No difference in the price, save that the Economy fare is a few thousand Avios more. What do I gain by choosing Economy over Blue ? Maybe this is linked to question 2 .... ??

2. If I need to change / cancel will I be charged 2 x 25 or just once. I assume that as its a single ticket it should just be once, so really cantsee what taking the Economy .fare gets me.

For completeness, although I am BA Gold, I have no IB status and have to book on the IB website as the trip is 500 cheaper (!!!) than on the BA website.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
Blue is just a slightly more restrictive economy award, The change fees would be per flight, and the economy doesn't incur the charge though blue does.
Old Feb 6, 20, 6:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Blue is just a slightly more restrictive economy award, The change fees would be per flight, and the economy doesn't incur the charge though blue does.
Hi alanw,

are you sure is per flight and not per ticket?

I have a long haul booked in Biz with the feeder flights in Blue, which most likely I will have to cancel, if it is per flight, they will charge me 25*4 instead of 25*1?

Thanks,
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by more4less View Post
Hi alanw,

are you sure is per flight and not per ticket?

I have a long haul booked in Biz with the feeder flights in Blue, which most likely I will have to cancel, if it is per flight, they will charge me 25€*4 instead of 25€*1?

Thanks,
I booked today with longhaul in business and and shorthaul in Blue, and this is what the website showed :-

"Purchase summary

Passengers:

1 Adult

Outbound Route 1 : Business

Change
Permitted before flight departure with a surcharge of €25. Only permitted on IB, YW, I2 and BA flights (except flight series 5xxx).

refund (in each direction)
Permitted with a surcharge of €25 up to 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on the ticket, as long as this does not include any IB5XXX flight. Refunds only permitted on flights with codes IB, YW, I2 and BA, unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme.

See more conditions[Open in a new window]

Outbound Route 2 : Blue Class

Change
Permitted before flight departure with a surcharge of €25. Only permitted on IB, YW, I2 and BA flights (except flight series 5xxx).

refund (in each direction)
Permitted with a surcharge of €25 up to 24 hours before the departure of the first flight on the ticket, as long as this does not include any IB5XXX flight. Refunds only permitted on flights with codes IB, YW, I2 and BA, unless the code for one leg is IB and the code for another leg belongs to another partner in the programme."

The final booking page (which I did not copy) was a little vaguer and suggested only 1 cancellation charge. So, ultimately, who knows ??
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
There is no advantage to booking Business + Economy. You will still have to pay ONE cancellation fee of 25 euros, same as Business + Blue.

Last edited by craigthemif; Feb 7, 20 at 5:37 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: