Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I wear a mask? MAD airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Should I wear a mask? MAD airport?

i am curious how many in the Flyertalk community would fly to Barajas would wear a mask upon arrival into the airport. IN particular 4S Immigration queue.

I am landing from Chicago into 4S and 30 min after my flight a widebody will be arriving from Hong Kong..... i am arriving around 0730

What do you all think?? Would you wear a mask??
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by feysul
i am curious how many in the Flyertalk community would fly to Barajas would wear a mask upon arrival into the airport. IN particular 4S Immigration queue.

I am landing from Chicago into 4S and 30 min after my flight a widebody will be arriving from Hong Kong..... i am arriving around 0730

What do you all think?? Would you wear a mask??
Are you immunocompromised, or are you travelling with others that could potentially be immunocompromised? Or +60 yo, <12 yo, pregnant, smoke...

It´s basically a risk assesment (your call). The risk is very low - if you ask me -, but obviously based on your conditions you may adapt to the circumstances to lower - even more - the risk,

BUT a normal, healthy individual, shouldn´t have any problems.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
I am not immune compromised. I am healthy.

i guess whats the downside to wearing one?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by feysul
I am not immune compromised. I am healthy.

i guess whats the downside to wearing one?
There´s no downside, they add an aditional barrier of defense (even the cheapest ones). But they won´t prevent you from getting the disease, just lower the risk.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wearing a mask everywhere is one of those habits that is often seen in Asia. Not sure why it doesn't take off in Europe / North America, as it seems quite sensible to me. (although a bit uncomfortable I've found)

As for MAD airport, you'll have just stepped off a 10-hour flight in a metal tube with a bunch of random strangers, any of whom could have been to China during January. The plane itself could have done a PVG rotation without being properly cleaned. Worrying about the MAD arrivals hall because of a different flight is a bit silly IMO.
Satie and feysul like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:51 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have no plans to wear a mask when I transit MAD in 4 days.
feysul likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Wearing a mask everywhere is one of those habits that is often seen in Asia. Not sure why it doesn't take off in Europe / North America, as it seems quite sensible to me. (although a bit uncomfortable I've found)
Yet the stupidity of such an act is lost on those who wear such masks for preventative measures. Not only has every doctor on the MSM said that wearing such a mask to prevent disease is useless, but the wearers of such things have not noticed the big open air gap from the mask's inability to fully seal the mid nose area. Seeing as those wearing them are "breathing in", that means they'll be concentrating the sucking in of airborne droplets and other airborne "nasties" via the said gaps - it's all about air pressure. The masks are probably effective for the "infected" as in for breathing out...and only just too.
AJA_, WindowSeatFlyer and feysul like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif

As for MAD airport, you'll have just stepped off a 10-hour flight in a metal tube with a bunch of random strangers, any of whom could have been to China during January. The plane itself could have done a PVG rotation without being properly cleaned. Worrying about the MAD arrivals hall because of a different flight is a bit silly IMO.
most people go most of their lives not wearing masks and not getting sick. i would be curious to see rates of flu and common cold in masked and maskless countries, but i would guess they are similar.
feysul likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mctaste
most people go most of their lives not wearing masks and not getting sick. i would be curious to see rates of flu and common cold in masked and maskless countries, but i would guess they are similar.
I´m very curious to know that as well. But then it´s very difficult to make such comparisons since access to public health services are not the same, and importantly, climate.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:46 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Captain Walker
Yet the stupidity of such an act is lost on those who wear such masks for preventative measures. Not only has every doctor on the MSM said that wearing such a mask to prevent disease is useless, but the wearers of such things have not noticed the big open air gap from the mask's inability to fully seal the mid nose area. Seeing as those wearing them are "breathing in", that means they'll be concentrating the sucking in of airborne droplets and other airborne "nasties" via the said gaps - it's all about air pressure. The masks are probably effective for the "infected" as in for breathing out...and only just too.
Indeed. The cheap "dentist type" masks can help prevent the spreading of airborne diseases if an infected person wears it, but it does next to nothing when it comes to protecting a person from getting infected. An N95-type mask can help prevent getting infected, assuming it is fitted properly.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I picked up a couple N99 masks with replacement filters for my wife and I. They seem to seal fairly good. We are transiting Taipei after a 13hr+ flight from Vancouver. Not sure if we'll wear them or not, definitely not the norm in our culture but we saw lots a year ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.