Downgraded

Old Jan 26, 20, 12:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Downgraded

Dear all,

I booked an Iberia Flight a few weeks ago. Today I saw it was possible to change the flight date for a quite low fare, so I did. After the date change was made, I saw that I was downgraded. Has anyone experienced the same? The customer service is useless, the guy on the phone told me he can't do anything about it. Thanks for your help
Petra Hauser is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:38 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,199
What were the exact details of your original ticket and of the new ticket? Fare and fare basis matter a lot. Origins, destinations matter too.

Is there any chance that the reason the fare was lower is that it was for a lower class of service?
Often1 is online now  
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What were the exact details of your original ticket and of the new ticket? Fare and fare basis matter a lot. Origins, destinations matter too.

Is there any chance that the reason the fare was lower is that it was for a lower class of service?
Iīd guess thatīs the case.
tobsw is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:52 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
I used to work for an airline, so I am aware of those various subclasses and restrictions - and if a passenger changed the ticket we never downgraded. I specifically checked the rules of my ticket and it stated that I am eligible to change a ticket for a particular fare, it never stated that I will get downgraded if I do so.
Petra Hauser is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,792
So you booked a PE fare, tried to change the date and ended up with a cheap Y fare?

I'm not saying that it's not possible, but it's really not common experience to book a non-refundable fare, and then be able to reduce the price later. (except with an airline or OTA that guarantees that the fare won't drop, which AFAIK isn't the case with IB)

As far as helping you, I don't think anybody on FT has access to a magic e-mail address or phone number that receives better customer service.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:04 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
yes. this is exactly what happened. I am just very confused, that this was not pointed at.
Petra Hauser is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:07 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
So you booked a PE fare, tried to change the date and ended up with a cheap Y fare?

I'm not saying that it's not possible, but it's really not common experience to book a non-refundable fare, and then be able to reduce the price later. (except with an airline or OTA that guarantees that the fare won't drop, which AFAIK isn't the case with IB)

As far as helping you, I don't think anybody on FT has access to a magic e-mail address or phone number that receives better customer service.

I was just wondering if somebody else has encountered the same issue and what they did. This was not clear to me at all that changing a date will put you a class down. Thanks.
Petra Hauser is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 3,065
If weíre talking PE is it possible the date change moved you to an aircraft with no PE cabin? I didnít realise it was possible to inadvertently downgrade yourself in that situation (most airlines donít seem to allow it) but is it possible thatís whatís happened?

as often says, we really need more detail to be able to help
nancypants is online now  
Old Jan 27, 20, 8:58 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,199
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
If weíre talking PE is it possible the date change moved you to an aircraft with no PE cabin? I didnít realise it was possible to inadvertently downgrade yourself in that situation (most airlines donít seem to allow it) but is it possible thatís whatís happened?

as often says, we really need more detail to be able to help
Or an aircraft with no PE availability. That might have caused PE not to display and thus the cheaper Economy fare which resulted in an apparent refund and self-requested downgrade.
nancypants likes this.
Often1 is online now  
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,792
Originally Posted by Petra Hauser View Post
I was just wondering if somebody else has encountered the same issue and what they did. This was not clear to me at all that changing a date will put you a class down. Thanks.
Your original post was unclear, so it's not surprising that the agent might have misunderstood you.

As I now understand it, you wanted to change dates because paying the change fee would have been worthwhile for you. As you explain in your original post about a "quite low fare", it's logical for an agent - especially with English as a second language - to believe that you wanted a lower fare and understood that this would be in a different cabin.
Adam1222 likes this.
craigthemif is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: