FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Standby policy in MAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/2004028-standby-policy-mad.html)

qianfeng0922 Jan 12, 2020 4:17 pm

Standby policy in MAD

Hi,

I will fly IB and transfer in MAD for 5 hours then heading towards DUS. The ticket is the lowest economy fare. In this case, may I ask to standby for the ealier possible flight after arriving MAD?

Thanks a lot!

craigthemif Jan 13, 2020 8:40 am

You can ask. You probably will end up on the flight you booked...

LondonElite Jan 13, 2020 8:42 am

You can ask, but the answer will be 'no' approximately 100% of the time.

Chorbs Jan 13, 2020 9:54 am

Tried this many times, always told "no". I always answer: "ok, I will just sit and consume food, drinks and ice cream in the Iberia lounge while I wait." I think it's quite ridiculous, I assume it would be cheaper for them to just send me on my way if there is a seat available. Not only would they avoid having me in the lounge, they will also free up an extra seat on a later flight which might help other delayed connecting passengers.

qianfeng0922 Jan 13, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks all!

LondonElite Jan 13, 2020 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Chorbs (Post 31944824)
Tried this many times, always told "no". I always answer: "ok, I will just sit and consume food, drinks and ice cream in the Iberia lounge while I wait." I think it's quite ridiculous, I assume it would be cheaper for them to just send me on my way if there is a seat available. Not only would they avoid having me in the lounge, they will also free up an extra seat on a later flight which might help other delayed connecting passengers.

No, it doesn’t work like that. They would be creating an expectation of free same day changes, which would reduce the revenue they earn on flexible tickets. Your peanuts and EUR 3.00 Rioja are a pittance compared to that.

qianfeng0922 Jan 13, 2020 11:09 am

It depends on how they think, especially in EU where EU261 holds. I tried the same issue with TP many times, the agent said when they have more than 5 seats available, they are happy to do so because I may free some seats for the passengers who have already missed his connection, in this case, the penalty could be 200 or 400 EUR. However, for SK, they have this policy only for their plus passengers, no matter the fare condition, it seems like the plus passengers are more important for them. And what you said is also true, it is also reasonable, just different airlines consider this from different aspects.

craigthemif Jan 13, 2020 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31945013)
No, it doesn’t work like that. They would be creating an expectation of free same day changes, which would reduce the revenue they earn on flexible tickets. Your peanuts and EUR 3.00 Rioja are a pittance compared to that.

This.

Every time I see somebody complain about IB not releasing extra J award seats on the day or not doing same-day standby "because it makes sense" I just shake my head. Flyertalkers / travel hackers / whatever are irrelevant compared to the big revenue IB gets from business travellers - they aren't going to do anything that gives business travellers a reason not to pay for flexible fares in the cabin they wish to travel in.