A Quick Baggage Allowance Question

Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
A Quick Baggage Allowance Question

Dear All,

I'm getting conflicting information, so can you advise. We are flying NTE-MAD-ALC this week. We have booked a basic fare A1IBB4 which normally means that you have to pay for hold luggage. We are flying with IB Express to MAD and Air Nostrum to ALC. Both HI and I are Gold and this has reflected in Seat Allocation which we would not normally receive. I read that we might be allowed to check a Bag for free as we are OW Emerald. Is this correct or not?

Many Thanks - and if this is covered elsewhere - forgive me. I cannot stop I have guests coming and to ask this I have left HI peeling Prawns for the Risotto and the Lord alone knows what I will have left to try and cook.

Hugs

PGxxxx
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Hi PUCCI

Now my understanding of this is, oneworld Emeralds received certain benefits when travelling on Basic fares but the precise benefits vary depending on which programme they belong to. As BA Executive Goldies, we receive the seating benefit but don’t get the free item of checked luggage.

Emeralds belonging to IB Plus do get a free checked bag and also benefit from free seating.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:49 am

No, BA Golds do get extra bag. In fact all Emeralds and Sapphires get an extra bag (but the latter only when the regular allowance is 0 or 1). The only case where you need to be IB+ to get an extra bag is for Rubies (or if we are talking about musical instruments or sporting equipment).

The overweight fee is also waived for BA and AA Emeralds, so these bags can be up to 32 kg.

Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless something has changed and I missed it, BA Silvers and Golds receive a free checked bag when booking a IB Basic fare. I suppose I'll find out in a couple of days, as I specifically booked IB to get the free checked bag.

However, if you've booked IB Express under an I2 code instead of IB you may not receive any OW benefits.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I was reading a chart and interpreted the rules incorrectly. PUCCI, I cannot apologise more profusely
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Can confirm I've got an extra bag, even on SH fares.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
I was reading a chart and interpreted the rules incorrectly. PUCCI, I cannot apologise more profusely
Darling I cannot forgive as there’s nothing to forgive. I was uncertain quite what it all meant and you’ve all answered it

I get to check a bag and not pay for it. Good.

Thanks to you all for taking time on a Sunday to help me. BTW the Risotto was a thwacking success.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
So just to be clear (as I think I have the same issue) if a BAEC Silver buying a hand baggage only fare (lHR-MAD-HAV) one can actually check a bag in the hold for free?

Last edited by JSM8; Jan 14, 2020 at 10:23 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
If it's IB operated, yes.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:30 am

Yes if all flights are IB. You may have problems if the LHR-MAD flight is on BA. In principle, the extra baggage allowance due to status does not apply to non-IB group flights.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:49 am

One other question. If there are two pax on the booking made by the silver card holder but the other pax is not silver does that mean both can have one hold bag on the flight or only the silver cardholder
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Only the card holder.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:12 am

Thanks for clarifying!
tobsw likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Just to report back - we got to Nantes and because the flight was full all passengers had received an email saying that they could check bags for free. So we never had to test this - but thank you all.

On a separate note - that T4 is vast - we arrived at K66 and left again from K71. As we had a 45 minute turn around., we missed the Lounge which was down the other end of the Terminal. I wasn't that bothered as I was unimpressed the last time that I was in there in late December.

I far prefer Air Nostrum to IB Express.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Good Morning Pucci,

I think if I were you, next time, I'd go down to Waitrose for ready peeled prawns. Best Wishes for 2020. Mike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.