MAD overnight connection - denied lounge access

Old Jan 6, 20, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

MAD overnight connection - denied lounge access

Hi,

Just to let know anybody that would consider buying tickets on Iberia with an overnight connection at MAD and planning to stay at T4S lounge, I was denied entry until midnight since "you need a same day boarding pass" according to the lounge dragon. Business class ticket, and a too short connection to go to Madrid and pay for a hotel (2100-0700).

Still two hours to wait... I found some decent space with loungers and power sockets between gates S32 and S35.
Old Jan 8, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold ∑ A3 Gold ∑ IB Plata
The lounge isn't a hotel. Lying around in there for ten hours seems excessive. There are plenty of hotels right across the street from the airport, no need to go into the city.
more4less, R.O., 4lB3R70 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 7:20 am

Programs: NWA, Delta, Continental
edit

"...and planning to stay at T4S lounge." Do they have sleeping accommodations?

You refer to the lounge agent as a "lounge dragon" because she didn't break the rules for you? Same day means same day.

A 9 hour connection is too short to stay in a hotel a short, free shuttle ride away?

From your post it appears that you knew ahead of time the details of your connection.

Sorry, but it appears the unreasonable party in this scenario is you, for poor planning and unrealistic expectations.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by pulokk1; Jan 9, 20 at 7:21 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 20, 7:26 am

I agree with those posting above.

plus itís MAD. No one goes to have dinner before 10pm and you can easily had for a restaurant at 11pm after having done checkin. Then sleeping couple hours in a proper bed and visiting the lounge for breakfast just before flight is the way to go. 10hrs in the Lounge, Even if possible, would be a strong no-no from me.
nancypants, craigthemif and feysul like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 7:30 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by pulokk1 View Post
"...and planning to stay at T4S lounge." Do they have sleeping accommodations?
To be fair, the lounge does have some sleeping booths (although they are mostly intended for shorter naps).
Old Jan 9, 20, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not just according to the "lounge dragon" but IB rules and OW's lounge access policy.

Why denigrate people for doing their job and carrying out their employer's own policies?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:30 pm

MAD lounge entry is very strict!

I've attempted to enter lounges at MAD when flying Business Class (not on Iberia) on other airlines and also with a Priority Pass membership and lounge entry has always been denied until 3 hours before flight departure, even when presenting my Business Class boarding card!.
Old Jan 9, 20, 6:44 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
You can enter IB lounges more than three hours before departure, but the rules say it has to be on the day. The other MAD lounges (participating in Priority Pass) do have a three-hour limit.
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers.

The point was not criticizing IB but warning others looking at planning the same thing, since overnight connections in MAD were already discussed on this forum (as I found out while doing my homework during the planning of the trip) with no such warning.

As for my planning, a previous similar connection in MAD (with UX) turned into spending almost more time in transportation than in my hotel room, when adding up deplaning, immigration, return metro trip, dinner, security and so on (plus a 2 hour flight delay that specific time). I had assumed the first boarding pass would act as a "same day BP", especially since the lounge in open all night. Now, I know, and other FlyerTalkers as well.

Originally Posted by pulokk1 View Post
You refer to the lounge agent as a "lounge dragon" because she didn't break the rules for you? Same day means same day.
There was no intention to be rude against her. The term "dragon" is used commonly on some French forums to refer to lounge agents (even the most welcoming ones), if that doesn't translate well in English, that's my bad.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: