Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Impossible to find 3 seat business award availability

Impossible to find 3 seat business award availability

Old Dec 2, 19, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Impossible to find 3 seat business award availability

I'm trying to book 3 business seats BOS-MAD-BOS for spring next year. No matter how much I try using the IB award search engine there's zero availability when searching for 3 seats (even extending the search well into summer), but I do find some availability for 2 seats here and there. Is there any hope (e.g. I book 2 and another one may pop up) or is this usual for IB? There *are* 3 seats only in economy.

This is for family vacation with toddler so separate flights are not an option. Any other ideas? Iberia is the only airline with non-stop BOS-MAD service, booking with other airlines is possible (I find 3 business seats in AA, UA, LX, LH, etc.) but the non-stop flights defeat the purpose of a comfortable, relatively quick red-eye flight.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
IB standard policy is to release 2 seats in Business on EVERY FLIGHT. Once they're gone, they're gone. Don't hope for more Avios seats.

There are some routes that can offer more than 2 seats in Business, very few. BOS is not among them.
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Welcome to FT! As you have found, premium cabin award seats are hard to come by. Finding more than two is often like finding unicorn poo. I fear you may have to consider a stopover, which many people with infants manage to do every day (and it will be comfortable in business/first).
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
IB standard policy is to release 2 seats in Business on EVERY FLIGHT. Once they're gone, they're gone. Don't hope for more Avios seats.

There are some routes that can offer more than 2 seats in Business, very few. BOS is not among them.
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Welcome to FT! As you have found, premium cabin award seats are hard to come by. Finding more than two is often like finding unicorn poo. I fear you may have to consider a stopover, which many people with infants manage to do every day (and it will be comfortable in business/first).
Thank you both, I'm in general very dissatisfied with Iberia (very buggy website, disinterested FAs, difficulty with getting problems resolved), but I have to stick with them given the convenience of the direct flight.

I'm fine with layovers when unavoidable, it just gets difficult to justify converting a short 6h flight into a 6-8h + 3h layover + 1-2h trip to flight in Business, associated with the increase probability of something going wrong (delay, missed connection, etc.).

I'll save my points for a different flight then.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I take a slightly different view (and we have four children). I dislike very short transatlantic flights, because you don't get enough sleep. In your case, I'd even backtrack to ORD or see if there is MIA availability so that you can get a decent night's sleep.
Old Dec 4, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Impossible to find ONE Business Class seat on United, American Airlines, Delta, etc. for the entire summer schedule to Europe

I certainly get it that couples / singles have a big advantage here, and that people want to take their whole family on holidays, but 2 J award seats on every flight is actually a pretty reasonable deal. There are generally always alternative options such as PE (especially on Level to Barcelona) or the full-fare flexible Economy award that opens far more award space on busy flights.

Search this Thread