Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia Business Class MAD to MEX Avios reward booking

Old Dec 1, 19, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hello,

I tend to hang around the BA forum...this is my first post on Iberia's

I've just squeezed the trigger on a J class 85k Avios + £207 return flight to MEX out of MAD. Seemed like good value compared to BA offering...so what don't I know about travelling J on Iberia. Do they keep to schedule on this route...??

Chris
Old Dec 2, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Last week I travelled MAD to MEX on IB in J. This was one of the worst business class flights I ever had. The seat was okay, but everything else was not. It really felt like the airline and the crew didn’t care any more and put in zero effort.

The Avios price you paid is very low, as was the cash price I paid which is the only justification I can put forward for the level of service received.
Old Dec 2, 19, 10:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, Iberia's main longhaul sectors are to Latin America, just as BA's favoured routes are to the USA and Canada. Personally I think you will have a good flight to México, I would have no hesitation using IB on sectors such as this. Some prefer IB's seating over BA (though I prefer BA's CW seating), and prior to Do&Co, IB's catering was often deemed better than IB. But given the fare - effectively £1000 return in your case - then I think that you have a good deal there. Go with an open mind, and I'm sure you will also enjoy México too.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
Last week I travelled MAD to MEX on IB in J. This was one of the worst business class flights I ever had. The seat was okay, but everything else was not. It really felt like the airline and the crew didn’t care any more and put in zero effort.

The Avios price you paid is very low, as was the cash price I paid which is the only justification I can put forward for the level of service received.
Why do people care so much about "service" in J? Do some feel like they should be pampered or get upset if they don't get their third glass a wine in a timely fashion? I get in my seat, watch a few movies or recline and relax in a comfortable seat. Don't sweat the small stuff...
hessbo likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theplayer View Post
Why do people care so much about "service" in J? Do some feel like they should be pampered or get upset if they don't get their third glass a wine in a timely fashion? I get in my seat, watch a few movies or recline and relax in a comfortable seat. Don't sweat the small stuff...
I get your point, but it's also true that IB has its fair share of flight attendants who treat any service request as a massive favour that shouldn't be repeated for the rest of the flight.

Whilst one shouldn't expect on-demand First Class service for the entire 12 hours from a Business Class product, it is also unacceptable to be made to feel bad for asking for a glass of wine or bottle of water.

So yes... manage your expectations... but also call out particularly bad service IMO.
more4less likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
It's your money / miles / points.

Fortunately, no one forces you to spend them on IB.
Old Dec 6, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Echoing others - IB J is hit or miss service-wise. I had a phenomenal MAD-BOG sector last weekend, but my previous longhaul IB flight on MAD-JFK had FAs who clearly didn't want to be there.

For 85k Avios + £207 round trip, though? The seat is pretty comfortable for sleeping in and IB's pretty good about getting you there on time. I wouldn't have any regrets about booking it.

Search this Thread