how often IB updates award inventory

Old Nov 26, 19, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

how often IB updates award inventory

How often does Iberia update their award inventory? I was accruing miles and now the award seat that has been available for 2 weeks now gone. I am not flexible and has to be that specific date. I still have time as the trip will be in February. So I want to know how often do they update the award inventory? Cash price, I saw at least 9 seats available in Business Class.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:56 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by flybie View Post
How often does Iberia update their award inventory? I was accruing miles and now the award seat that has been available for 2 weeks now gone. I am not flexible and has to be that specific date. I still have time as the trip will be in February. So I want to know how often do they update the award inventory? Cash price, I saw at least 9 seats available in Business Class.
I wish I had good news for you but I have never seen Iberia open up award seats once the availability is taken down.Perhaps others have seen this but I have not.That said, Iberia is still better than most airlines here in USA as they always will open up seats on every flight,but once the seats are booked I have never seen them open back up inventory.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tilto007 View Post
I wish I had good news for you but I have never seen Iberia open up award seats once the availability is taken down.Perhaps others have seen this but I have not.That said, Iberia is still better than most airlines here in USA as they always will open up seats on every flight,but once the seats are booked I have never seen them open back up inventory.
oh thatís not good. Would call in help?
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:59 pm

oh thatís not good. Would call in help?
I do not think calling will help but I have never tried calling.maybe others have some experience with this??Good luck
Old Nov 26, 19, 6:08 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, HHonors G, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I have seen the J cabin at 20% of occupancy and nothing opening for awards... not even the day of travel in the counter or thru the IB+ line.
It is a bit silly how revenue management is handled there, but I am sure there is a reason I do not see
Old Nov 27, 19, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The award seats are gone. IB won't be releasing more.

Your only chance is if the person who booked them decides to cancel, but even then it's unlikely that they go back into award inventory.

Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
I have seen the J cabin at 20% of occupancy and nothing opening for awards... not even the day of travel in the counter or thru the IB+ line.
It is a bit silly how revenue management is handled there, but I am sure there is a reason I do not see

Revenue management isn't "silly". It's just a strategy you may not agree with. Which is to ensure that people who want to fly J pay for J, instead of paying Y or PE and taking their chances on upgrading at the airport.
Old Nov 27, 19, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Once availability is gone, it's gone. Ib won't open more award space.

HOWEVER, remember that Iberia has also married segments logic. It could be that MAD-JFK availability is gone, but XRY-MAD-JFK shows award space.
Old Nov 27, 19, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Revenue management isn't "silly". It's just a strategy you may not agree with. Which is to ensure that people who want to fly J pay for J, instead of paying Y or PE and taking their chances on upgrading at the airport.
If a person is willing to give 50k avios at the counter or pay from PE to J $600, I still think it is a good deal for IB.
I specially remember a flight BOS - MAD like 4 years back that the plane was almost empty, in Y people sleeping in the 4 seats middle rows and I could see only 2 people in J. Since that day, where I asked for a PUPG or with avios and they declined both I am fuming with IB...
Old Nov 27, 19, 1:08 pm

If a person is willing to give 50k avios at the counter or pay from PE to J $600, I still think it is a good deal for IB.
I specially remember a flight BOS - MAD like 4 years back that the plane was almost empty, in Y people sleeping in the 4 seats middle rows and I could see only 2 people in J. Since that day, where I asked for a PUPG or with avios and they declined both I am fuming with IB...

I would agree with your logic but Iberia seems to have decided that their way is the best.I still prefer the knowledge that Iberia will always have availability ,provided you book far enough in advance.I live in Miami and American never releases J space on the nonstop MIA to LHR route that I fly.It does not matter how many days in advance or how many seats are booked.It always shows zero for 2 J seats on this flight.If you plan in advance , Iberia is still the best choice for those trying to head to Europe on points provided you live near a hub,

Last edited by Tilto007; Nov 27, 19 at 3:31 pm Reason: GRAMMAR
Old Nov 28, 19, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Your logic is short term. If one business traveller doesn't pay $3000 for a walk-up J fare and takes their chances on a $600 upgrade, IB needs to upgrade 5 people just to break even. Given the internal economics of Avios, even more Avios upgrades would be needed. This isn't a good deal for IB.

And FWIW, most other airlines aren't going to give you an empty J seat internationally either, so if you are still fuming with IB you just haven't experienced the same thing with every other airline yet...
tobsw likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Your logic is short term. If one business traveller doesn't pay $3000 for a walk-up J fare and takes their chances on a $600 upgrade, IB needs to upgrade 5 people just to break even. Given the internal economics of Avios, even more Avios upgrades would be needed. This isn't a good deal for IB.

And FWIW, most other airlines aren't going to give you an empty J seat internationally either, so if you are still fuming with IB you just haven't experienced the same thing with every other airline yet...
Lately I am flying the ORD - LHR - ORD or DFW - LHR - DFW routes, they offer me PUPG all the time when I am in WTP to jump to CW, if not a system upgrade automatically. Not sure about your statement above in other airlines, but BA is not the case you say, at least for me. Maybe I am a specially lucky guy.

I agree with you though about the +600 USD rather than $3000 ticket, but normally all of us travel on the company expenses (I believe) so you book as per the company policies which will be J for the flight anyways... why are you going to risk your journey in J for a potential savings for the company when travelling in J is the policy?
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:27 am

Having lived in Spain for 5 years I can say there probably isn't a reason,or at least not a logical one. More likely someone decided at some point, with little analysis, that this would be the way things are done, and no-one has questioned it since. Spanish culture is great in many respects, but it does lack critical thinking.

Search this Thread