FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Selecting seats in advance on IB shorthaul, meaningless? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1987642-selecting-seats-advance-ib-shorthaul-meaningless.html)

gordon0808 Sep 17, 2019 9:12 am

Selecting seats in advance on IB shorthaul, meaningless?

I recently had 4 intra EU and domestic flights with Iberia. As a OW Emerald I was able to choose my seats for free at the time of booking, but not once did I end up getting my selected seats. One of the greatest benefits of being Emerald is to able to select exit row seats, but when you are placed in a middle seat in a row different from the one you chose it gets a little annoying, especially when it happens four out of four times..
Is this normal when flying Iberia or have I just been unlucky?

UKdiver Sep 17, 2019 10:09 am

This is relatively unlucky but not surprising. There is fairly frequent equipment change and also if your exit row seat (in Y) is being swallowed by an expanding business class then you are going to lose that seat. It is always worth rechecking your seat assignment a few days before the flight (and before check in opens) to ensure you still have your desired seat.

Mordac Sep 17, 2019 11:39 am

Count yourself lucky that you didn't just get someone who decided your seat was theirs and sat there, with the flight attendants just telling me to seat anywhere else.

BA6501 Sep 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Happened to me... once? Maybe twice? In years of flying IB as an Emerald.

What route are you flying? Do you book any codeshares?

Yllanes Sep 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Yes, the frequency is surprising. In my case they have even been very good at maintaining the same type of seat (including emergency exits) after an equipment change.

gordon0808 Sep 18, 2019 3:34 am

So I guess bad luck then. I did check my bookings and even checked in online for my flights, but ended up getting other seats printed on my boarding cards.
I have another flight next week, let's see if it happens again. If it does, I will have to conclude that Iberia hates me.

gordon0808 Sep 18, 2019 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 31535563)
Happened to me... once? Maybe twice? In years of flying IB as an Emerald.

What route are you flying? Do you book any codeshares?

My flights were not codeshares, they were ordinary Iberia domestic and intra European flights. All the flights were very busy, so my initial thought was that Iberia prioritizes their own frequent fliers.

BA6501 Sep 18, 2019 4:07 am

BA Emerald here ;)

sunshinebob Sep 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mordac (Post 31534932)
Count yourself lucky that you didn't just get someone who decided your seat was theirs and sat there, with the flight attendants just telling me to seat anywhere else.

This does happen. Had it recently when I booked the front row in business only to board and find a couple of wheelchair pax in my seats.

Just a shrug from the crew .....

Mordac Sep 19, 2019 2:31 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob (Post 31539324)
This does happen. Had it recently when I booked the front row in business only to board and find a couple of wheelchair pax in my seats.

Just a shrug from the crew .....

Was the front row (1A) for my too. There was no one else in business other than the couple who were on my row, and it was an hour long flight, so I just took it in stride and sat on 1F, but did find it unbelievable.

gordon0808 Sep 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Maybe Iberia doesn't hate me after all, because lo and behold, on today's flight I got to keep my exit row seat. Very nice fligth too with super model gorgeous flight attendants. Ibera certainly has some good looking cabin crew.