Confused on Iberia - Vueling operated flight

Old Sep 12, 19, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Confused on Iberia - Vueling operated flight

Went to book a flight on Iberia as a OWE and it says flight is operated by Vueling. It says the cost includes 1 bag in the hold and you can reserve a seat 24 hrs before departure. Question is do I get OW benefits like luggage allowance and lounge access in AMS. I seem to recall you dont get any points or miles with Vueling. When I go to the booking stage it says

Sorry, seat selection is not available for this flight

Bags
Sorry, bag selection is not available for this flight

It has at this stage my OWE details.

The main reason for asking is due to my inexperience with these guys and I can actually fly earlier with other low cost airlines cheaper. I can get luggage, priority boarding and emergency exit row seat with Easyjet who I think are a nicer airline than Iberia.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 12, 19 at 4:28 am Reason: Remove markup language
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It depends on your frequent flyer scheme, but essentially Iberia's scheme gives you credits and lounge access (etc) if booked with an IB code, anyone else does not get these benefits. Vueling isn't a oneworld airline.

For seat selection you best use Vueling's own app at OLCI, it's usually easy enough to get a preferred seat then, and to change it if necessary. If your e-ticket gives you one checked bag, then that is what you will get unless you are on the Iberia frequent flyer scheme.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
OWE is worthless on Vueling.

However when you book a codeshare via IB - either miles or a standard paid fare - you will be booked into "Optima" class and get a checked bag and seat selection. However you need to figure out your Vueling PNR - which is different from the Iberia one.

More details here.

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2018/06/ho...eling-flights/
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:03 am
Original Poster

So the flight is IB1374 so I guess its code share. I cant see mention of Optima fare or any way to find seat selection.

Outbound

Alicante-Amsterdam

11 Oct. 2019 / 10:30

Alicante

Cabin Economy

See flight details

Arrival at Amsterdam

11 Oct. 2019 / 13:25

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Flight No: IB1374

Operated by Vueling Airlines

Airbus A320-100 / 200

Duration: 2h 55min.

Old Sep 14, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
You should just book this flight on the Vueling website. It's much more straightforward, the different fare classes are clearly displayed, and you can select a seat and get your boarding pass as soon as you book.

It's also 25€ cheaper, depending on which fare you book.
Old Sep 14, 19, 7:45 am
Original Poster

No matter what browser I use or what ever i try to do that stupid Vueling website gives me this

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://tickets.vueling.com/LinksHub.ashx?" on this server.Reference #18.3d081002.1568468566.13760051

You even get this when you try to search for flights
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:06 am
Original Poster

We ended up installing something called hidemyip. One of our IT guys did it and was able to get me the emergency exit row and check me in no problem. This is truly the most awful airline website ever and I thought Iberia is bad. In this day and age its amazing this bunch of clowns can get away with this. We even have a boarding pass now. They said they emailed it but nothing came through after 1 hour. It clearly shows Iberia flight number on the Vueling boarding pass. Last question can i use the IB lounge with this or do lounge privileges also not apply.

Last edited by maball; Sep 14, 19 at 9:11 am
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maball View Post
We ended up installing something called hidemyip. One of our IT guys did it and was able to get me the emergency exit row and check me in no problem. This is truly the most awful airline website ever and I thought Iberia is bad. In this day and age its amazing this bunch of clowns can get away with this. We even have a boarding pass now. They said they emailed it but nothing came through after 1 hour. It clearly shows Iberia flight number on the Vueling boarding pass. Last question can i use the IB lounge with this or do lounge privileges also not apply.
No lounge. Vueling isn't a oneworld airline.
Old Sep 14, 19, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by alanw View Post
You should just book this flight on the Vueling website. It's much more straightforward, the different fare classes are clearly displayed, and you can select a seat and get your boarding pass as soon as you book.

It's also 25 cheaper, depending on which fare you book.
I agree with you. I booked my Mother on a Vueling flight from Paris to Barcelona to join us for our cruise as she is visting a friend in Paris before. The Sky Scanner website told me that Vueling is the best price and times so I went to the Vueling website and booked the Optimal fare with luggage and seat assignments. I got her a seat when I booked her flight. Total one way was 70 Euros all in. and i got her the first row in the main cabin!
Old Sep 15, 19, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You even get this when you try to search for flights
Yes, I get this when using Vueling's website from China, where there is a well known problem with stolen credit cards. Using VPN tends to solve this. It sounds like you were on the wrong side of "whitelisting" which is also used by both BA and Iberia. It may be that using Incognito / InPrivate mode would also work.
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Just to say a big thank you to you all for your help with this and I hope I can offer help in some way in the future
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
No lounge. Vueling isn't a oneworld airline.
But this is an IB code share flight on a IB purchased ticket
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:26 am

If this is the case, and you have IB status, then you have lounge access. But not for other oneworld airlines' frequent flyer schemes. You can also buy lounge access at ALC for 34, or use Priority Pass.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
It's irrelevant whether it's a codeshare, or ticketed by IB. Key is the operating carrier.

As a reminder, here are the oneworld lounge access rules:

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
Since Vueling is not oneworld, you have no access to the lounge. There are 2 exceptions: in some airports, you are allowed to enter lounges with Ib Plus Oro (or superior) when a Vueling flight is booked with IB code; or BAEC Gold when booked under a BA code.
4lB3R70 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:45 am

You can protest all you want, but we're telling you how it is.

You're learning what countless others have figured out... don't bother with Vueling if you care about elite qualification / benefits.
Adam1222 likes this.

Search this Thread