Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

How does IB handle misconnects within OW on separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

I had a complex situation and had to book two separate tickets, arriving at LHR with AA, and departing to Spain with IB (LHR-MAD-regional city in Spain). I have a 4-hour layover between tickets and I know that I have to change T3-T5 but I will only have hand luggage and I can afford at least a 2-hour delay of the US arriving flight with AA.

My question is what will happen if there is a longer delay of the incoming AA flight and end up misconnecting, will IB rebook me for free or would I have to buy a new ticket? I have OW elite status. Again, separate tickets, the first one all AA ticket stock/code/metal, the second one all IB ticket stock/code/metal.(At least I was smart enough to avoid BA codes and metal, as who knows by then if BA will be on strike, in or out of the EU, or whatnot).
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
I had a complex situation and had to book two separate tickets, arriving at LHR with AA, and departing to Spain with IB (LHR-MAD-regional city in Spain). I have a 4-hour layover between tickets and I know that I have to change T3-T5 but I will only have hand luggage and I can afford at least a 2-hour delay of the US arriving flight with AA.

My question is what will happen if there is a longer delay of the incoming AA flight and end up misconnecting, will IB rebook me for free or would I have to buy a new ticket? I have OW elite status. Again, separate tickets, the first one all AA ticket stock/code/metal, the second one all IB ticket stock/code/metal.(At least I was smart enough to avoid BA codes and metal, as who knows by then if BA will be on strike, in or out of the EU, or whatnot).
In my personal experience, they would make you buy a new ticket. They would even do that if both flights were operated by IB on separate tickets. When it happened to me, I was able to find a redemption seat on BA.com that I was unable to find on Iberia.com. This was much better than shelling £500 which is what they asked for.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

There is a whole big discussion going on right now in the FT AA forum about AA's protection on separate AA-oneworld tickets. In any event, if any carrier had to rebook you in the scenario you describe, it would be the late-delivering carrier -- AA in your case -- and not IB.

Here's the thread:

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
There is a whole big discussion going on right now in the FT AA forum about AA's protection on separate AA-oneworld tickets. In any event, if any carrier had to rebook you in the scenario you describe, it would be the late-delivering carrier -- AA in your case -- and not IB.

Here's the thread:
AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay
And the AA thread before that :-- AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR
The new thread some what supersedes the old thread
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One obvious problem is that it's AA's responsibility to rebook, but AA agents might not be able to change (or even see) an IB ticket/PNR.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I saw those threads, my fear is that AA won't even bother with this as the second ticket is all IB codes/stock/metal, and I will be in LHR. I guess I should try the AA EXP line first and the AA rebooking desk at LHR T3 first (in case of a very severe delay), followed by the IB GAs at T5.
I was hoping that some flat tire rule will exist w/ IB, plus the OW protection thing, but I am not holding my breadth...Last chance buy out of pocket and see if insurance will reimburse...

Will I have access to the AA rebooking desk at T3 upon arrival at T3? Or is it the way we are deplaning that prevents that?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The default position on separate tickets (ie no connection exists) is that you should be prepared to buy a new return ticket at walk-up prices. Anything else is a favour to you (leaving aside the unclear current/future AA situation).
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I guess another option is to book a back up award ticket with Avios for later, as insurance policy, but I will miss out $50 on nonrefundable taxes...Not sure if it is worth it or if I should take my chances...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I saw those threads, my fear is that AA won't even bother with this as the second ticket is all IB codes/stock/metal, and I will be in LHR. I guess I should try the AA EXP line first and the AA rebooking desk at LHR T3 first (in case of a very severe delay), followed by the IB GAs at T5.
I was hoping that some flat tire rule will exist w/ IB, plus the OW protection thing, but I am not holding my breadth...Last chance buy out of pocket and see if insurance will reimburse...

Will I have access to the AA rebooking desk at T3 upon arrival at T3? Or is it the way we are deplaning that prevents that?
I don't wish to rain on your parade at all, but I personally believe that there is some wishful thinking here. I can't speak for AA, but as you say, you'll be in London and under time pressure. IB almost certainly won't care about what AA's rules are. They don't have any flat tire rule and will probably tell you that you showed up at the airport too late. I don't believe they have a OW protection plan. You should check with your insurance about extent of cover, and whether it applies to separate itineraries.

Last edited by LondonElite; Sep 6, 2019 at 8:36 am Reason: typos
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't wish to rain on your parade at all, but I personally believe that there is some wishful thinking here. I can't speak for AA, but as you say, you'll be in London and under time pressure. IB almost certainly won't care about what AA's rule are. They don't have any flat tire rule and will probably tell you that you should up at the airport too late. I don't believe they have a OW protection plan. You should check with your insurance about extent of cover, and whether it applies to separate itineraries.
Yes... IB won't care in the slightest about AA's policy and will simply have the OP as a no-show. The OP would need to approach AA at LHR and hope that AA follow their own published policy by booking a revenue fare on IB.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
FWIW this happened to me recently (at MAD, not at LHR but a late connection causing me to misconnect to an IB flight on a different ticket), I explained what happened and the default response was of course I'm SOL. But the agent also said since I was OWE they would make an exception and booked me on the next flight, which was about four hours later. It as a J ticket.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Transfers between separate tickets are not "connections" and that causes significant confusion.

The simple answer here is that AA has no contractual obligation to rebook to anywhere, whether he is flying onwards with AA or any other carrier. Anecdotal evidence is that AA has spottily rebooked for internal policy reasons. But, OP has no recourse if it will not.

Thus, flying on separate tickets is solely a matter of risk tolerance. What will it cost to change OP's existing AA ticket to terminate in MAD vs. what will it cost for him to purchase a new LHR-MAD ticket on IB if he is a no show and has 4 hours less transfer time to no show.

Although OP does not say he has checked luggage, if he does, he will need to reclaim that at LHR and then drag it to IB to check it in. He must therefore allow time for passport control and customs (such as they are) and take into account IB's bag check deadline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.