FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Basic Fare Baggage etc on Iberia (Air Nostrum/Iberia Express) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1985449-basic-fare-baggage-etc-iberia-air-nostrum-iberia-express.html)

PUCCI GALORE Sep 1, 2019 4:22 am

Basic Fare Baggage etc on Iberia (Air Nostrum/Iberia Express)

I have tried looking up this information but am not sure that I have read this correctly. I am now going to have to start flying from Barajas to Nantes as out direct flight from ALC with Vueling no longer seems to be operating in 2020. What I want to know before I buy is as we are both BA Golds what is our hand-baggage allowance on a Basic Fare? Am I allowed to check a bag for free? Will it allow me to select seats? Is the hand baggage allowance one roll aboard and a Personal Item. As we will be taking a small dog in his cage (under 5kg the lot), we will be allowed in the Lounge at Barajas? I'm really not fussed if we are not as we can always go and get something to drink in relays if needs be.

I'm sorry that I have asked a lot of questions, but I know that not only do you know but that I can depend upon what you tell me. Many Thanks!

nancypants Sep 1, 2019 4:32 am

I did a basic fare on IB just recently. At the time I was a non-IB OWS

i was able to check 2 bags- however I believe the charge for the 2nd had to be manually overridden by the check in lady (both together were less than 23kg)

also yes, able to select exit row seats. Other than the ATR services I was able to take a roller bag and a personal item. Catering is all BOB though

on one segment I was asked to move out of the exit row so a deadheading captain could sit there (it was an hour flight so I didn’t mind). They do seem to deadhead an awful lot of crew though!

i am still waiting for my baggage to be found from the final flight and IB CS has been abysmal

Prospero Sep 1, 2019 4:56 am

PUCCI, you're flying Iberia. I think need to sit down for this :)

I bring good news. One thing I love about Air Nostrum flights is the ability to drop off your hand baggage at the steps of the aircraft just moments before you board, and on arrival collect them on the way from the plane to the arrival gate. You sit upstairs in the cabin, and your cabin bag is safely stowed below in the very compact hold. Avoids all the faff waiting for the bags to appear on the reclaim carousel. Technically, we are permitted one carry-on bag but in practice, when I've had two, the lovely gate checkers happily gave me tags for both. That covers the basics but I confess doesn't remotely address your question about your wee animal. That said, i note that Iberia does not permit the carriage of weasels ferrets, pine martens, etc. but there is some info here about less scurrilous beasties that might be of help to you.

As a BA Gold card holder, you'll have all the usual lounge benefits. I'm told the mushrooms come from a tin barrel but I swear they taste better than anything that comes from my kitchen.

nancypants Sep 1, 2019 5:12 am

Just make sure the hairbrush is in your carry on, eh 😉

PUCCI GALORE Sep 1, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks to you both! Darling Man of Magic, I am full of surprises - however between Madrid and Nantes there are not many choices! Since the fares are cheap as chips I did not expect that much. I do know the system of hand baggage that you describe - it is the same as they practice in the USA with American Eagle. I do not need to check in anything but it is useful to know in extremis. Thank you Nancypants ( I simply adore your handle from the minute you got here) - my hairbrush and I will never be parted. That goes for my lippy I might add.

As for the pets I have, for years had an emotional collapse animal. My sister calls him a Toad, but I call him Him Indoors.I've taken him in more Lounges than a GGL's dream.

Bless you both, I might add that we will travel up to Madrid by AVE as the additional fare for flying ALC-MAD-NTE is £100 each return, The Premier Class gives you free food and drinks and I have a Golden Card (Carta Dorada) which gives me 40% off. Better yet the train ticket allows me to travel from Barajas to Atochas and anywhere in Alicante (and doubtless other cities) for free on arrival or departure.

sombrachinesca Sep 2, 2019 5:29 pm

Just a friendly warning that the "Cercanias" (regional train) service from Atocha out to Barajas is currently not operating due to rebuilding of the train tunnel between Atocha and Nuevos Ministerios stations. Supposedly it is to reopen in December....

Until then, options are either bus, taxi, or metro (although with multiple line changes to get to T4) - and the AVE ticket works with none of those.

schrodingerdog Sep 3, 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca (Post 31483820)
Just a friendly warning that the "Cercanias" (regional train) service from Atocha out to Barajas is currently not operating due to rebuilding of the train tunnel between Atocha and Nuevos Ministerios stations. Supposedly it is to reopen in December....

Until then, options are either bus, taxi, or metro (although with multiple line changes to get to T4) - and the AVE ticket works with none of those.

It is operating, but from Chamartin.

That means that if you arrive to Atocha you can take the a C3/C4 train to Chamartin (that uses the second tunnel, the one that goes through Sol) and then move to the airport train.

maball Sep 5, 2019 8:47 am

Taxi is safe and easy and cheap from Atocha to Barajas. Word of warning about IB staff at ALC. Some of them have been there for years and if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction they can be rather ....... One particular battle axe closed the check in desks 15 minutes early. I went to check in for biz class flight with IB and she told me she didnt expect anyone else to check in so I have to go to CS and get rebooked. One quick call to Laura Baldó Benac on 966 919 xxx. and guess what I was checked in. She was also at the gate with a face like a bulldog sucking a wasp. I just had to say thank you and wish her a great weekend like you do. I have watched her and a few other be really awful to passengers over baggage when it suits them. I have also see pets in carry on cases in the lounge at MAD.

PUCCI GALORE Sep 6, 2019 2:58 am

Originally Posted by maball (Post 31493323)
Taxi is safe and easy and cheap from Atocha to Barajas. Word of warning about IB staff at ALC. Some of them have been there for years and if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction they can be rather ....... One particular battle axe closed the check in desks 15 minutes early. I went to check in for biz class flight with IB and she told me she didnt expect anyone else to check in so I have to go to CS and get rebooked. One quick call to Laura Baldó Benac on 966 919 xxx. and guess what I was checked in. She was also at the gate with a face like a bulldog sucking a wasp. I just had to say thank you and wish her a great weekend like you do. I have watched her and a few other be really awful to passengers over baggage when it suits them. I have also see pets in carry on cases in the lounge at MAD.

I suspect that I know of whom you speak. I only go to check-in when we have the dog as he has to be checked for weight and the fare paid. I had a stupid piece of nonsense with them a few years back - I wanted to buy an upgrade and they either didn't hear or want to hear and checked me into Y. When I protested I was brushed off with a "too late" remark. I went to the Service Desk and one of the Duty Managers a rather pleasant and friendly lady got involved, and sorted it out. Some of them still think that they are back in the good old nationalised days when any old thing would do.

I am really grateful to you about the news of the train to Barajas. We are not doing this until early February so - hopefully this will be resolved. How can one find out nearer the time? I had once to travel out to Barajas on the Metro - paying was not the problem but the time that it took. I got to T4 and by the time that you go through Security and then out to T4S which always seem to be considerable my BA flight was well into boarding. I was lucky.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I have indeed booked and have seats assigned and a baggage allowance already in the booking. Although I did not chose them, often when you are travelling with a pet you are not allowed to do so as they need the animal by a window for safety reasons.

Thank you all again and for making me welcome,