Search

Poor food MAD - MEX IB biz class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:19 am
formerly mrshyt
Original Poster

Programs: IB+ Gold, HH Gold
Poor food MAD - MEX IB biz class

We had a 9.40am departure from MAD to MEX so I was a bit concerned before the flight as to what food / meals we were going to be fed. It is obviously far too early to expect the first meal to be a lunch service on a departure at this time of day on a Spanish airline!

We boarded and settled in and the menu was distributed. We were going to be served breakfast and an ‘almuerzo ligero’ (light lunch?) on our 11+ hour flight.

For breakfast we we had a choice of omelette (tortilla francesa) with a side of bacon or omelette with a side of veg. Fine for breakfast.

Almuerzo was Spanish omelette with bread - no other choice!! And it was served about 6 hours into the flight so the last 4 hours there was no food other than the crap plastic wrapped sandwiches they have in the galley. So eggs for breakfast and eggs for lunch: who the hell signs off on a menu like this? Is it too much to expect a full lunch service on a long flight like this? Not what we were expecting from IB in their most premium cabin.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Avios
I wish I could disagree but I also had a poor J class meal from Mad to Mia last month.They really need to improve the catering.It does not need to be JAL type meal service but what they are serving now is below standard.I mentioned the food to the gentleman attendant who I had struck up a good conversation with during the flight and he says that they get many complaints but it is out of his control.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Very poor catering indeed and crazy to offer an omelette for breakfast and an omelette for lunch, who can design this stupid menu??

I am on this same flight in aprox 6 weeks, I hope that by then someone has realized that it makes no sense.

Normally catering from IB in long haul J is OK for me.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
That's pretty strange that they did it this way. I mean, I know exactly the thought process that went into the result, Usually I like IB catering. I think a complaint is definitely in order. Not sure who to direct it to though.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I think IB is focusing all catering developments efforts to the new Do&Co contract which starts at some point in 2020. Til' then, the clock just ticks.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
IB catering in J has been getting worse and worse since years now.

I remember a few routes like VIE, ORY or FRA with monkfish, dover sole, beef checks... These dishes were designed by Michelin star Spanish chefs and I was kind of enjoying my fly back home in the evenings ... all I get now is a salad with a few prawns (if lucky), pretty much BA style.
Catering quality for long haul has also dropped substantially, to the point BA is better than IB nowadays.

Agree with the above folks IB is now below the market standards.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:42 pm
formerly mrshyt
Original Poster

Reporting back after the return leg from MEX. An improvement to say the least from the dire food on the way to MEX. It was the 15.55 departure so there was no way they could serve omelette twice

Main meal there was a choice of lamb served with mashed potato and red wine sauce (quite tasty, tender and plentiful, perhaps a bit more sauce would have been nice) salmon with rice and prawns (average, salmon was obviously over cooked) and a ravioli dish which we did not try. Starters had a nice mix, quite filling too. Breakfast was an omelette but I skipped that as I tried to sleep as much as I could and I already had my fair share of eggs on the way out! Crew were also miles better on the way back to MAD, literally each and everyone of them were better than any of the crew we had leaving MAD to MEX a week before....
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:43 pm
formerly mrshyt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanw
That's pretty strange that they did it this way. I mean, I know exactly the thought process that went into the result, Usually I like IB catering. I think a complaint is definitely in order. Not sure who to direct it to though.
I will write to Oro, just to give feedback, doubt I’ll get any Avios.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Usually the outstation Business Class catering is terrible. I suspect Iberia buys the cheapest 'premium' meal possible. Not a big issue for me as I usually try to sleep on the overnights.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:19 am
formerly mrshyt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKdiver;31439711[b
]Usually the outstation Business Class catering is terrible.[/b] I suspect Iberia buys the cheapest 'premium' meal possible. Not a big issue for me as I usually try to sleep on the overnights.
That was exactly what I was expecting but in this case it was the complete opposite...
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Did the early mad-mex flight on Friday and the food was highly unimpressive, were it not a few raids for the snack trolley I'd have been starving upon arrival.

Just about to head back to Madrid on the 15.55 flight and glad to hear the catering is more impressive.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I'm on this flight in a couple of weeks in Y so I've been interested in what I can expect - has anyone flown it down the back? I don't think I've ever been on a long haul leaving at breakfast time before. I'm not a fan of eggs on planes but I fear it's what I'll get. And will the wine be out?!

The flight out from MEX - MAD (12.40pm departure) I thought the food was actually pretty decent by Y standards, main of beef and roasted potatoes was genuinely one of the best I've had.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by UKdiver
Usually the outstation Business Class catering is terrible. I suspect Iberia buys the cheapest 'premium' meal possible. Not a big issue for me as I usually try to sleep on the overnights.
Food on the return leg (1555 departure from MEX) was pretty good.

The Lamb as mentioned above looked good, had the salmon which was very tasty.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
I took the same flight as the OP a few days ago and catering was “normal”.

Shortly after departure they served breakfast, including an omelette, and a few hours after they served the classic IB lunch. The starter was good but the entrees were very mediocre.

One hour before landing they served olives or nuts.

The service was poor, which unfortunately is what I am often finding, but I am not a regular, so could be bad luck.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:31 pm

pack a sandwich and some snacks..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.