FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Chocolate stolen from checked baggage MAD-MEX Aug 9 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1982453-chocolate-stolen-checked-baggage-mad-mex-aug-9-a.html)

newflyer530 Aug 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Chocolate stolen from checked baggage MAD-MEX Aug 9

Flew IB6405 on Aug 9, MAD-MEX.

Checked in at MAD about 1 hour before departure, was told upon landing in MEX that my bag didn't make it. Wasn't huge inconvenience for me, so I thought.

Bag got delivered to my hotel about 24h later, all sealed and well packaged with a plastic bag around it. However when I opened it, it was a shocking scene, it's an absolute mess and 10 bars of Swiss chocolate that I brought for friends were all stolen from the bag, no other items stolen.

I actually had to laugh as these are not even fancy gourmet swiss chocolate, they are around 25 swiss francs *only*.

However, is this a known problem for IB in MAD tho? I have certain marks in my bag that point to the possibility that it happened in MAD. Also the fact that the bag didn't make the flight despite checked in ~1 hour before departure is kinda suspicious too. Any thoughts?

sunshinebob Aug 11, 2019 1:09 am

Originally Posted by newflyer530 (Post 31402435)
Flew IB6405 on Aug 9, MAD-MEX.

Checked in at MAD about 1 hour before departure, was told upon landing in MEX that my bag didn't make it. Wasn't huge inconvenience for me, so I thought.

Bag got delivered to my hotel about 24h later, all sealed and well packaged with a plastic bag around it. However when I opened it, it was a shocking scene, it's an absolute mess and 10 bars of Swiss chocolate that I brought for friends were all stolen from the bag, no other items stolen.

I actually had to laugh as these are not even fancy gourmet swiss chocolate, they are around 25 swiss francs *only*.

However, is this a known problem for IB in MAD tho? I have certain marks in my bag that point to the possibility that it happened in MAD. Also the fact that the bag didn't make the flight despite checked in ~1 hour before departure is kinda suspicious too. Any thoughts?

Does seem kinder suspicious as you say.

spainflyer Aug 11, 2019 6:11 am

Stealing from luggage is a problem at nearly every airport in the world (SIN excepted!!). At MAD luggage is handled by AENA, a state-owned monopoly with all that that implies (let's just say that management can be weak, any theft by employees is extremely difficult to deal with due to local labor laws and strong unions). That said, I think MAD and Iberia do not have significantly greater incidences of theft from luggage than most European legacy carriers. And, of course the theft could have taken place during the 24 hours was "in transit" or "in MEX." BTW, I would consider 25 CHF a fairly significant price to pay for chocolate, even Swiss. If they got 10 bars, that's 250 CHF. That'll get you a cup of coffee and a nice pastry in Zurich!

schrodingerdog Aug 11, 2019 7:06 am

Originally Posted by spainflyer (Post 31403428)
At MAD luggage is handled by AENA, a state-owned monopoly with all that that implies (let's just say that management can be weak, any theft by employees is extremely difficult to deal with due to local labor laws and strong unions).

At MAD the luggage is handled by the different baggage handlers authorised to work in the airport. In the case of the OP, it would be handled by Iberia own's baggage handlers (ServiIberia), nothing to do with AENA.

newflyer530 Aug 11, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by spainflyer (Post 31403428)
Stealing from luggage is a problem at nearly every airport in the world (SIN excepted!!). At MAD luggage is handled by AENA, a state-owned monopoly with all that that implies (let's just say that management can be weak, any theft by employees is extremely difficult to deal with due to local labor laws and strong unions). That said, I think MAD and Iberia do not have significantly greater incidences of theft from luggage than most European legacy carriers. And, of course the theft could have taken place during the 24 hours was "in transit" or "in MEX." BTW, I would consider 25 CHF a fairly significant price to pay for chocolate, even Swiss. If they got 10 bars, that's 250 CHF. That'll get you a cup of coffee and a nice pastry in Zurich!

They are 25 swiss francs in total, for all 10 bars, so around 2.5 CHF per bar. Really not that fancy.
The person who stole these must be super hungry (pun intended)