Avios cost for partner airline flights

Old Aug 10, 19, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Avios cost for partner airline flights

Is there a chart or online tool that shows the avios cost of partner airline flights booked via IB+?

I'm specifically looking for the correct price for the following itinerary on off peak dates :

IB business MAD-LIM

LA economy blue LIM-BSB

LA economy blue BSB-GRU

LA economy blue GRU-MAD

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The chances of you actually booking that itinerary are slim to none. I would book via ba.com leg-by-leg. (except for the IB flight)

Also, if you include any Business Class flights, you pay Business Class for the entire itinerary, based on the distance chart.

https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus...s/flights/lan/
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Many thanks for that, it's incredibly useful. However I couldn't find the reference to business class avios throughout if just one sector is business.

I have actually booked that itinerary but didn't really think about the avios cost, which I thought was a very reasonable 62050, until a few days later when I looked again and saw that it was actually 162050, made up as follows :

MAD-LIM 103400
LIM-BSB 18600
BSB-GRU 3650
GRU-MAD 36400

Is it correct?
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Is this economy or business?
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
Is this economy or business?
As per the OP
​​​
IB business MAD-LIM

LA economy blue LIM-BSB

LA economy blue BSB-GRU

LA economy blue GRU-MAD
Old Aug 11, 19, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by heartybob View Post
As per the OP
​​​
IB business MAD-LIM

LA economy blue LIM-BSB

LA economy blue BSB-GRU

LA economy blue GRU-MAD
Such an itinerary would probably cost substantially fewer Avios -- but perhaps with a higher carrier surcharge on the IB leg -- if booked as a multi-partner award with BA Avios. And if GRU-MAD is a longer flight distance than MAD-LIM, the entire itinerary might book at BA's multi-partner Economy Class redemption rate, due to a quirk in BAEC's redemption policies. But to be able to book with BA Avios, lowest-tier award seats would need to be available on all segments.

Edited to add: Unfortunately, MAD-LIM is a greater distance than GRU-MAD, so BA would apply the higher Business Class redemption rate to the entire itinerary.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 13, 19 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Ah ok, this seems about right. It was a BIG mistake to book it all in one itinerary - you've literally paid a BIG premium for travelling with LATAM (you've essentially paid Economy Premium - Full Fare Avios on your LATAM flights). That's how it works when you mix IB flights and oneworld partners.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
Ah ok, this seems about right. It was a BIG mistake to book it all in one itinerary - you've literally paid a BIG premium for travelling with LATAM (you've essentially paid Economy Premium - Full Fare Avios on your LATAM flights). That's how it works when you mix IB flights and oneworld partners.
Many thanks to all who have enlightened me as to what a huge mistake this was!

Two things that still puzzle me however are (a) where can I find these obscure rules about the inflated avios cost of mixing ​​​IB with eg LA in a single booking, and (b) why the MAD-LIM sector in IB business has been priced 103400 avios instead of at the off-peak cost of 42500 avios. Is it a mistake, or is it just due to one of the obscure rules that I so far haven't been able to find? It's such a huge difference!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: