Baggage thru check to US with long MAD layover

Old Aug 9, 19, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Baggage thru check to US with long MAD layover

All on one ticket/PNR: Dep. LISBON-MAD on IB in J, Arr. 11:00 p.m. Next day MAD-ORD Dep. 11:30 a.m. on IB in J. Connect in ORD to Omaha on AA in F.
QUESTION: When I check in at LIS will my bags be tagged through to Omaha (beside collecting them in ORD for customs)? I'm hoping to make a beeline for a MAD hotel after landing from LIS and want to avoid the long wait for luggage (been to MAD before on multiple trips and baggage takes forever). Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:52 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
Yes, they will be tagged through.
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
No valuables in your checked luggage. There is additional risk at any airport from having your bags sit overnight in a pile somewhere, but I have seen a couple of reports of MAD being particularly bad...
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:17 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
I have checked bags overnight at MAD more times than I can count and have never had a problem. In my student days, before flying to the family home, I even used to check the bags the day before at the Nuevos Ministerios train station, so I could leave directly to the airport from the university. More recently, I often make a stopover in Madrid before flying back to my current base in the US and drop the bags overnight (in normal trips I always go hand-baggage only, but as an expat it is not possible to avoid some luggage a couple of times a year).
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
No valuables in your checked luggage. There is additional risk at any airport from having your bags sit overnight in a pile somewhere, but I have seen a couple of reports of MAD being particularly bad...
Indeed, I thought about that as well; it is a risk, but I won't have valuables in there, only clothing. The only thing I can think of doing is at check-in for my US flight is to have the IB agent see if my baggage is loaded, probably will do that with the boarding gate agent. I've done this with Swiss connecting from a United flight and they confirmed. I don't know if IB has the ability to check loaded baggage status via their computer system. It is only 2019 after all, and it is Espana.
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
They well say "yes, your luggage us on board" regardless. You can't check it away whether it's been loaded... You'll only notice at your final destination...
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:36 am

Watch out for this;

Luggage check-in on flights with stopovers or connections

"Transfer Luggage" is defined as checked-in luggage which has to travel on two or more connecting flights and therefore must be transferred from one aircraft to another.

You can check in with your baggage for connecting different flights, provided that the locator or booking reference is the same.
In most cases, your baggage will be labeled to go directly to your final destination. The baggage tag receipt that we give you when dropping off your baggage always states your bag’s final destination.

When transferring, you only need to collect your baggage and check it in again for your connecting flight, if:

You have purchased two or more tickets under different locator or booking reference.

You transfer from a Iberia flight to a domestic flight (when country regulations require travelers to comply with customs and immigration procedures at their first point of entry,for example in the USA).

You arrive at one airport and your connecting flight departs from another airport.

Your connecting flights are not on the same day and the total transfer time exceeds 12 hours.

Search this Thread