Newbie to Iberia avios w/ search/book questions

Old Aug 3, 19, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Newbie to Iberia avios w/ search/book questions

Hi - it was recommended on the BA forum that I transfer a bunch of miles from my ba avios to an Iberia account to avoid the crazy taxes/fees . However, I would need to have account open for 90 days before being allowed to do this...
1) how does one transfer avios from BA to Iberia plus?
2) is it possible to do a multi city Ib+ tix search or do I just enter routes separately as one way? Thinking lax -> Lisbon 25 feb 2020 and then svq-> lax on 11 March 2020
thanks
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
In order to be able to transfer Avios between BA and IB, both accounts must have been open for at least 90 days, and each account must have earned at least one Avios. I believe that conversions of Amex MR points or Chase UR points to Iberia Plus each count as "earnings," but you should try to verify this. You should also be able to earn IB Avios through qualifying hotel stays, car rentals, etc.

If your intended travel will all be on Iberia/Iberia Express, I would just book each one-way separately on line, to avoid a possible telephone-booking fee for creating an open-jaw redemption.
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Thanks - I used chase Ur points for the avios Ib+ account and have had BA for awhile now. After my Ib+ is open for 90 days, is there some sort of pull down menu or something to do a transfer of points from BA to Ib + or do I call someone up?
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Do the bookings as two oneways.

There are plenty of blogs that explain in detail how to transfer Avios between BAEC and IbPlus. (use google to search).
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by happytravelskh View Post
Hi - it was recommended on the BA forum that I transfer a bunch of miles from my ba avios to an Iberia account to avoid the crazy taxes/fees .

What crazy taxes / fees do you think you would be avoiding with IB+?

Search this Thread