Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia MAD-SFO ugh.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:28 am
SST
Original Poster

Iberia MAD-SFO ugh.

#Iberia’s MAD-SFO nonstop is a real “Nuevo Experienco”.... first we get penned into an area at MAD for US flights only— and there’s no seats and almost no room. Then, we are at the very same gate as Chicago’s flight. Then, as we head for the inevitable bus (grrr.....) via the lengthy stairs, we are herded in and WAIT twenty minutes or so, doors wide open to the Spanish heat. Then we are told to go back up the stairs with our luggage, and I fall, at the top (you know, where the heat rises) the door is locked so we again get the sauna effect after the cardio workout. The staff up above is clueless and orders us to the back of the group lines (which a group of us in business class refuse, because we’ve already stood at the front of those same lines for an hour due to their delay in trying to get the Chicago passengers boarded thru the same gate agent squad). A standoff ensues: no information for the passengers, no moving for us. Gate agents are all very busy and whispering. Finally, without any PA announcement of what is happening, we re-tender our tickets and get sent down to the bus. OUR bus departs, but dozens of passengers are stranded behind closed doors sweltering, waiting for their own bus. We are now onboard, an hour late (which might have been spent productively in the lounge since they clearly knew they weren’t going to load two flights simultaneously at the gate). Who knows how late this will get in to SFO? Epic fail, #Iberia.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Wellcome to Summer in Madrid!

I never understand what the point of boarding a plane early is... especially if travelling in Business where overhead lockers are not a problem. And the lounge is much nicer and comfy than any airplane seat (including business seat).

To avoid unexpected boarding issues I'm always the last one to board.... you know when they call "last call".

And yes, IB has a "special" area designated for their US operations within the T4S terminal building - but that's nothing new, it's been commented quite often in this forum.

Anyway, your flight should get into SFO on-time.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Great so this is what I have to look forward to in Oct (maybe without the heat) going MAD-BOS? Do all US flights use buses upon landing and departing?
tobsw likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Great so this is what I have to look forward to in Oct (maybe without the heat) going MAD-BOS? Do all US flights use buses upon landing and departing?
Not necessarily.

Almost all US flights use finger - but there's no guarantee to arrive/depart from a finger.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:36 am

I have never boarded with a bus, the OP has been unlucky.

What is, however, very common is for them to have the first group of boarders waiting 10 min in the jetway before letting them on the plane. So boarding later is recommended.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
No. Why would you jump to that conclusion. The vast majority of flights use normal gates.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
[QUOTE=Yllanes;31370730...very common is for them to have the first group of boarders waiting 10 min in the jetway before letting them on the plane..[/QUOTE]
And it seems like the jetway is never air conditioned. Moreover, there is no circulation, so the sun beats on that tin roof and the temperature in the jetway just continues to rise... That said, it is pretty nice in winter.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:11 pm
formerly mrshyt

Programs: IB+ Gold, HH Gold
There is air con but it is right by the door to the aircraft! A bit useless really...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.