Iberia upgrade PE to Business

Old Jul 31, 19, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Iberia
Iberia upgrade PE to Business

Hi all,

I've been looking in the Iberia threads, but can't seem to find the answer to what I'm looking for.

I'm looking at flights between MAD - EZE or LIM on Iberia metal. I'd like to book a flight and then upgrade to business using avios from my Iberia Plus account.

I'm confused re. the rules on upgrading flights - I know that from economy to business, only certain economy fare classes are eligible (the fully flexible tickets).

However - does anyone know the rules for premium economy to business - are all premium economy tickets eligible for upgrade?

I ask as I can only see one class of premium economy ticket for sale (premium economy promotional), and can't find any T&Cs which would state otherwise.

Any reference materials/guides greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Only Flex fare are suitable for upgrade with Avios (also in Premium Economy). Remember that it's paramount that Avios availability exists in Business class in order to upgrade with Avios.

Alternatively, you can buy a promo Economy Premium fare and hope for an upgrade offer a few days/weeks before travel.
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
In general, you simply don't upgrade IB flights using Avios.

You're usually going to find it cheaper to simply buy enough Avios to book the full Avios reward (if you don't have enough), rather than pay an expensive paid fare that allows upgrades.

Or of course you book and hope for a relatively cheap paid upgrade offer.
Old Aug 5, 19, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Iberia
Thanks

Many thanks for your responses. Looks like it is an expensive way to get an upgrade!
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
First time booking Iberia I have found a very cheap Premium Economy fare BCN-LHR-JNB on BA with IB flight number. Avios seats in J are available. Could someone tell me how many Avios and additional taxes it would cost me to upgrade LHR-JNB?

thanks
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:04 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
As explained in previous messages, you cannot upgrade discounted Premium Economy with IB Avios (only with cash).
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
First time booking Iberia I have found a very cheap Premium Economy fare BCN-LHR-JNB on BA with IB flight number. Avios seats in J are available. Could someone tell me how many Avios and additional taxes it would cost me to upgrade LHR-JNB?

thanks
You need to do it via BAEC with the flights under a BA flight number.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
It depends. If the ticketing carrier is BA, you can do it easily with BAEC - only if BA flights have BA prime numbers.

If ticketing carrier is IB, you can only upgrade flexible fares, but only if they are BA prime flights (not IB codeshares).

Search this Thread