MAD - Earliest check-in/bag drop

Old Jul 29, 19, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
MAD - Earliest check-in/bag drop

I've booked a Business class reward ticket from MAD to LAX next March, scheduled for 12:20, and I'll need to take a positioning flight the night before to get to Madrid with sufficient time. As that flight will land shortly before midnight, and I'll likely not be out of the terminal until 1AM, I don't see there being much point in booking a hotel room for 2-3 hours sleep.

How early would I be able to check my luggage in and pass through security into the lounge, and is the lounge comfortable enough to doze off in for a short while (i.e. dark area similar to BCN)? Any other hints and tips for a long stopover would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
24 hours before.

I haven't seen the dark area since the refurb, but either way at that hour the lounge will be extremely quiet.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Look for your comfort. You will appreciate it. You will def get more than 2-3 hrs sleep your flight is past midday the following day! It's not like your flight is at 8 am in the morning.

C'mon BOOK a cheap hotel by the airport - there are plenty, good and with free transfer. Next morning, wake up at 7-8 ish, go to the airport and check-in. Then have breakfast in the lounge.

It's amazing how cheapo people are.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post

It's amazing how cheapo people are.
I don't really follow enough of the other boards, but it does seem to me that MAD transferees are particularly prone to being cheap in this way.

But EVEN if you want to be cheap, anybody under the age of 40 should be heading into town for some of Madrid's famous "movida", not turning the lounge into a homeless shelter!
tobsw likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I don't really follow enough of the other boards, but it does seem to me that MAD transferees are particularly prone to being cheap in this way.

But EVEN if you want to be cheap, anybody under the age of 40 should be heading into town for some of Madrid's famous "movida", not turning the lounge into a homeless shelter!
Itīs ridiculous. Even more in this case... when the OPs argument is "it isnīt worth for 2-3 h sleep" (thereīs at least 12h from arrival to scheduled departure). The funny bit is, as you say, Madrid is such a good potential for dining out (tapas or seafood) and partying, and hotels if booked with some time, are cheap and plenty.

I just donīt get this Ļsleeping in the loungeĻ business (iīm pretty sure the OP is not a student,,, when I was a student I used to carry a beach inflatable mattress... it worked outstandingly for ON connections. but nowadays, "ainīt nobody got time for that".
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: 11x Southwest Companion Pass Status/ Hilton Lifetime Diamond/ Hertz PC; Iberia Oro
Originally Posted by Jaymzuk View Post
I've booked a Business class reward ticket from MAD to LAX next March, scheduled for 12:20, and I'll need to take a positioning flight the night before to get to Madrid with sufficient time. As that flight will land shortly before midnight, and I'll likely not be out of the terminal until 1AM, I don't see there being much point in booking a hotel room for 2-3 hours sleep.

How early would I be able to check my luggage in and pass through security into the lounge, and is the lounge comfortable enough to doze off in for a short while (i.e. dark area similar to BCN)? Any other hints and tips for a long stopover would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Where do you get 2 to 3 hours? If in fact it is 2 to 3 hours then i would stay in the lounge... you can call that Cheap or Smart, i dont care.....

However if you have a good 8 hours or so,,, the Hilton can give you a Day rate. just call them or other hotels in the area and explain to them the situation. they will give you a special rate and you could sleep much better.
Old Aug 6, 19, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jaymzuk View Post

Thanks in advance!
I have done the transit in MAD with overnights quite a few times. Had your flight been arriving around 1am with a 7 - 8 am departure I would have said just re check the bags then head to the lounge as you can get some sleep .However 12 noon is quite a long time to be doing that and personally I would go for a cheap hotel room around the airport. Of course if you do not want to do that and are happy to sleep in the lounge then that will not be an issue either.

Search this Thread