Iberia lost luggage

Old Jul 26, 19, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP
Iberia lost luggage

Apologies for a new thread, did a search and nothing obvious recent/worth bumping

1/2 bags didn’t make it from from VLC-MAD-BCN this morning- first flight went tech so missed connection, rebooked on subsequent service. Bags made it to Madrid apparently (I asked and was told yes when I picked up the rebooked flight’s boarding pass). Unfortunately only one on the belt in BCN, second unable to be traced

have made report and have reference number. Nothing irreplaceable in bag, have bought some basic toiletries and a change of clothes, kept receipts

i’m about to head to a safari camp, unsure of how contactable I will be- is there any way to check up on this now without calling Iberia? Asked BA at T5 but they said the systems don’t talk to each other
Old Jul 26, 19, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This should all be in WorldTracer. In fact, if one calls IB, all they do is look in WT.

Also a good place to confirm that the description and contact information, e.g. a valid mobile number are properly in the system.
Old Jul 26, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This should all be in WorldTracer. In fact, if one calls IB, all they do is look in WT.

Also a good place to confirm that the description and contact information, e.g. a valid mobile number are properly in the system.
i was hoping you’d comment- is it possible for me to look in worldtracer myself (ie do you have a link?)- I don’t know that I will be contactable

my back up plan is to palm the job off on mr pants and hopefully have him pick the bag up on his way through Johannesburg, not sure how feasible that is
Old Jul 27, 19, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Found it:

https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/WTRI...iteLanguage=EN

”tracing continues”- but as you always say, no one is looking for it

i will put in a claim for the various items purchased as interim replacement momentarily (nothing outrageous)
Old Jul 27, 19, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I hope you had a particularly good reason to fly VLC-MAD-BCN instead of just taking a 3-3.5hr train ride...

Hope you are reunited eventually with your luggage.
Old Jul 27, 19, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I hope you had a particularly good reason to fly VLC-MAD-BCN instead of just taking a 3-3.5hr train ride...

Hope you are reunited eventually with your luggage.
It was status credits but then it turned out I didn’t need them. So no good reason at all really! I almost sacked the flight off that morning and took the train instead but decided since i’d already paid i’d just roll with it. Ah Lordy!
Old Jul 27, 19, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would confirm with IB that it will reimburse interim expenses. This is a purely domestic ticket and thus bags are not covered by the Montreal Convention.
Old Jul 27, 19, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would confirm with IB that it will reimburse interim expenses. This is a purely domestic ticket and thus bags are not covered by the Montreal Convention.
interesting thought! I confirmed with insurance that they would cover whatever Iberia doesn’t, obviously up to a limit
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
I hope the OP is reu it'd with their luggage. Sorry to hijack this thread, but not sure if I should start another. Flying SJO to MAD yesterday and got to MAD with no bag. Luckily the ticket machine to see an agent about baggage recognizes status and class of travel (I flew paid J) and was next in line. I'm waiting for 2r hour before I buy any items I need (underwear and a change of shoes are tip of my list). Anyone have some info on if and how I will get reimbursed? Only expricne I had apwas a year ago when BA lost my gags for 3 weeks. They did reimburse me in the end but it was a pain and took almost 2 months. My concern is abysmal cusotmer service in Spain and especially Iberia will make this experience harder than it needs to be.
FYI, when I trace the bag online I get no info other than what I provided, however when I call they say the have the bag and will be on the next flight once daily SJO to MAD. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Yeah my worldtracer is saying “tracing continues” and not a lot else. I haven’t phoned as I am currently in Zimbabwe. Sent in a “complaint” (not really but no other way to ask for reimbursement) yesterday but apparently takes 21 days to hear back

we’re due to be hiking in the cederberg in 3 days time so if still no bag i’m gonna need to buy new hiking gear, will not be cheap!!
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:19 am

I got my luggage 3 days later, hoping Iberia will refund the money I spent on clothes in the meantime. Any news for you OP? Make sure you keep all your receipts and luggage stubs. Good luck.
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
I got my luggage 3 days later, hoping Iberia will refund the money I spent on clothes in the meantime. Any news for you OP? Make sure you keep all your receipts and luggage stubs. Good luck.
still no word. I’m basically resigned to it not coming back- I know they have 3 weeks but i’m on the wrong side of the “most lost bags are found within 48 hours” odds

also the bag of slightly damp laundry that needed to be hung up to dry at destination will probably have festered to the point of making the rest of the contents unusable at this point
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post

still no word. I’m basically resigned to it not coming back- I know they have 3 weeks but i’m on the wrong side of the “most lost bags are found within 48 hours” odds

also the bag of slightly damp laundry that needed to be hung up to dry at destination will probably have festered to the point of making the rest of the contents unusable at this point
Don't lose hope though. Last year British airways sent my bag home after 3 weeks, I and been home for a whole week by then. Submitted everything and got a refund (I had to follow up by phone several times). I'm sure if you get your clothes back home they could be washed thoroughly, or if not maybe claiming for a lost bag instead of delayed might be more convenient.
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:01 am
Original Poster

19 days and no word, no response to request for reimbursement of expenses, worldtracer continues to just say “tracing continues”. Tried to call but can’t get through, so have contacted them on social media

also noticed he’d Put my temporary address of 1 night almost 3 weeks ago with an end date of 2020 so hopefully nothing has been sent there in the intervening period!!
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:43 am

Sorry to hear about that. Did you submit for the expenses on their website? I submitted a picture of my tags, PIR number, receipts, and a short note and recieved an email shortly afterward asking for more info. Yesterday I got an email saying they will reimburse me for €100 about 1/3 of my expenses. Not sure how they came up with this (I didn't have my bag for 2 days) and I'm unable to get an answer. Good luck.

Search this Thread