Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Avios booking cancelled without notification - what can I expect Iberia to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios booking cancelled without notification - what can I expect Iberia to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:49 am
Original Poster

I just realized I never followed-up on your suggestions, Prospero. The Amex account I believe IB tried to charge the tax to is closed and it would have been closed at the time they tried to run the charge, so I don't think there would be any record of pending transactions or authorization requests on it.

I went back and looked at the confirmation email IB sent once again, and none of the language you quoted about needing to contact them was in it. In fact, in addition to showing the amount of Avios and tax charged (making it look like a receipt to untrained eyes), it even had a hot link saying "Get Boarding Pass >" - yet another reason I saw no cause for concern, as you would not expect to see that if all you had was a reservation and not a ticket. Lastly, I searched my email for any messages from "Travel Document," the address your warning about contacting IB came from. I did have one email from that address, but it was actually a confirmation from Air Tahiti Nui of another award flight I took about a month ago. It doesn't surprise me that there was no warning from IB, though, because as I mentioned above, they actually told me it is their policy not to contact customers when a partial payment on a credit card fails to go through, just like... zero other companies on the face of the Earth!

I appreciate you trying to help, though.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I hate to derail the "consumer revenge" bubble, but aren't all Avios held by Avios Group [being a separate subsidiary of IAG]? Transferring them will do squat to IB themselves [and the dispute here might actually be with Avios Group anyway].
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:13 am
Original Poster

I was wondering if that’s how Avios work. If that’s the case, wouldn’t that mean that IB really did lose a sale in this situation - i.e., that the monetary value of my Avios aren’t transferred from Avios Group to IB until I use them for an award with IB? Because if that’s true, it makes it all the more mystifying why IB seemed unconcerned about canceling this transaction- it hurt them too.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I think that was the initial plan for IAG and how many people see it. In reality, the issue is way more complicated and the way I see it is IbPlus is closer to Iberia than Avios AGL. I *think* there are some legal issues with converting the whole IbPlus program into the Avios Group, mainly due to Avios ownership. It seems, Iberia Plus Avios are owned by the user... not the program (Spanish Santander Bank had a juicy sign-up bonus of 30 k Avios for an IB Credit Card... but whenever the Avios hit your account, you were also charge a 21% in taxes, based on Santander Avios valuation - pretty low tbh).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NewEXP
I just realized I never followed-up on your suggestions, Prospero. The Amex account I believe IB tried to charge the tax to is closed and it would have been closed at the time they tried to run the charge, so I don't think there would be any record of pending transactions or authorization requests on it.

I went back and looked at the confirmation email IB sent once again, and none of the language you quoted about needing to contact them was in it. In fact, in addition to showing the amount of Avios and tax charged (making it look like a receipt to untrained eyes), it even had a hot link saying "Get Boarding Pass >" - yet another reason I saw no cause for concern, as you would not expect to see that if all you had was a reservation and not a ticket. Lastly, I searched my email for any messages from "Travel Document," the address your warning about contacting IB came from. I did have one email from that address, but it was actually a confirmation from Air Tahiti Nui of another award flight I took about a month ago. It doesn't surprise me that there was no warning from IB, though, because as I mentioned above, they actually told me it is their policy not to contact customers when a partial payment on a credit card fails to go through, just like... zero other companies on the face of the Earth!

I appreciate you trying to help, though.
Given that you are an AA EXP, I'm a little surprised that you did not attempt to change the FFN number on your IB Plus redemption to your AAdvantage number, so that you could have selected Main Cabin Extra seats on your AA flights. Had you done so, that might have given you an earlier warning that there was a problem with your redemption.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by NewEXP
I had your current, active CC in mind, assuming of course the details of which were also held by the IB website.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Given that you are an AA EXP, I'm a little surprised that you did not attempt to change the FFN number on your IB Plus redemption to your AAdvantage number, so that you could have selected Main Cabin Extra seats on your AA flights. Had you done so, that might have given you an earlier warning that there was a problem with your redemption.
i don’t believe NewEXP was travelling on this booking. Nice try though
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
I had your current, active CC in mind, assuming of course the details of which were also held by the IB website.

i don’t believe NewEXP was travelling on this booking. Nice try though
Ah, right you are.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:18 pm

This is very similar to my horrendous experience with IB; except we had confirmed ticket numbers.

IB cancelled the tickets, for reasons still unknown, 7 months before the flight and never told us. We lost £3000 buying new flights which IB have now refunded, but the situation was a nightmare nonetheless.

https://travellingjake.me/2019/06/15...nes-nightmare/
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by travellingjake
We lost £3000 buying new flights which IB have now refunded
How have you lost £3000 if IB refunded it to you (pretty much as soon as you ask them to)?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
How have you lost £3000 if IB refunded it to you (pretty much as soon as you ask them to)?
We had no guarantee that IB would refund it without argument but the sentence could be better worded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.