Chances of getting an upgrade.

Old Jul 21, 19, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Chances of getting an upgrade.

Hi, I have a MVD-MAD flight on the 30th and bought an economy ticket. I've been told by the guys at IB office that I might receive an email 24 hours prior to the flight offering me an upgrade to business for between $350-400, which is a pretty good deal, considering it's a long flight and then I have another MAD-TLV (which I don't care about not being able to upgrade) leg after a 6 hours wait at MAD. They told me that if I don't receive the email, I would still be able to request the upgrade at the check in counter, obviously subject to availability.

My question is the following, as the second leg is operated by LY, I think I will not be able to check in online with IB, so I'm doubting I will receive that email...I have been following the flight on expertflyer and there are apparently at least 9 tickets available for business, and on the seat map it shows 15 available (I guess some are just sold but not selected). For most other dates, Business class is almost sold out, so how likely I am to get that upgrade? I don't think that in a bit over a week, at least 9 people will buy a business ticket MVD-MAD, but how does it work with FF? Do they have priority over these upgrades?

Thanks for your opinions
Old Jul 21, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Because of the connecting leg, you should assume that you won't receive any special offers.
Old Jul 21, 19, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Because of the connecting leg, you should assume that you won't receive any special offers.
hi, so they only offer if youíre flying all the legs with them? When I fly with Latam they always let me bid for each leg separatedly. Iím only interested in the first one and from what I understood they told me I would be able to upgrade that one, idk
Old Jul 21, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I have received offers to upgrade (at check-in, by email and, annoyingly, by telephone call) in IB-AA itineraries. Always booked through IB, though, which may well make a difference.

I never take them and I wish they would at least stop calling.
Old Jul 22, 19, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My understanding is that the more complicated the fare construction, the less likely the computers can figure out an upgrade offer for you.

This isn't to say of course that you won't get targetted, just that you should expect to fly at the back.
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Is there any chance of being offered an upgrade (at check in, at the airport, by phone, by st bernard,,,) if booked an IB operated flight with BA (codeshare)?
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Even if it's a codeshare flight? I don't know...they told me I could still get it...there are still at least 9 available seats at the front and 8 days to go, hopefully no one takes them and if I don't get any email, they'll be able to sort it out at the counter.
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

So I just got the email this morning asking whether I was interested in the upgrade and if yes, they would contact me between tomorrow and the 26th. However, now expertflyer says there are only 6 seats available. Now my question is, when it says "at least 6", are there any chances there are more than 6? Also, it shows "at least 9" available for F fare, which is first and IB doesn't have...could that mean a more expensive ticket for business class?
Thanks
Old Jul 24, 19, 3:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
I think F on IB is an Economy bucket.
ubiest likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I just got the call asking whether I was still interested in the upgrade and got it for 350 Euro, which is pretty reasonable for a 12 hours daytime flight when you have chronic back pain
C17PSGR and craigthemif like this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Javierjj View Post
I just got the call asking whether I was still interested in the upgrade and got it for 350 Euro, which is pretty reasonable for a 12 hours daytime flight when you have chronic back pain
Not bad.

Unfortunately I would never risk ever actually flying Y, otherwise it would be an interesting option.

Search this Thread