Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to get an Avios Booking Refunded

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Trying to get an Avios Booking Refunded

Three weeks ago.

Me: Hello, I booked a flight for two passengers with Avios that I need to cancel and I'd like to have the Avios refunded.

IB: Sorry, this is not the right department. You need the Iberia Plus service center.

[Lots of back and forth until he transfers me.]

IB: Ok, no problem. It is 25 euros per ticket and it will be deducted from the taxes that get refuned.

Me: Ok, I would like to use the avios, how long do you think it will take?

IB: Could be tomorrow, maybe three days.

Me: Ok, thank you.

[Two weeks later.]

Me: Hello, I cancelled tickets booked with avios two weeks ago but the avios are not yet back in my account.

[Long delay while my information is confirmed. Then long hold.]

IB: Yes, sir, I see that my partner informed you that the refund price would be 25 dollars, but it is actually 40 dollars, so do you agree to 40 dollars?

Me: Actually, your colleague told me it was 25 euros, and that's what it should be, because that's what it says on my ticket receipt.

IB: Yes, but in this case it is 40 dollars.

Me: [Deciding that a fight over 24 dollars is not worth it and that I probably missed the fine print somewhere.] Ok, I agree.

IB: Ok, I will put it back in the queue.

Me: Ok, but I would like to use the avios for a different booking. How long do you think it will be.

IB: Two days.

[A week and half later . . which is today.]

Me: Hello, I am waiting for a refund of avios for tickets that I cancelled.

[Very long and difficult period where we could not seem to communicate the letters in my PNR.]

IB: Ahh, I see the problem. It seems my partner informed you that the the fee would be 25 euros, but the actual fee is 40 dollars per ticket.

Me: Yes, I was told that last week, and that is ok.

IB: So, you agree?

Me: Yes. Yes.

IB: Ok, please hold. [Long hold follows.] Ok, it is all set. I have sent it off.

Me: How long do you think it will take?

IB: Tomorrow. Or maybe Saturday, but then Monday.

Me: Ok.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
Three weeks ago.

Me: Hello, I booked a flight for two passengers with Avios that I need to cancel and I'd like to have the Avios refunded.

IB: Sorry, this is not the right department. You need the Iberia Plus service center.

IB: Ok, no problem. It is 25 euros per ticket and it will be deducted from the taxes that get refuned.

[Two weeks later.]

Me: Hello, I cancelled tickets booked with avios two weeks ago but the avios are not yet back in my account.

IB: Yes, sir, I see that my partner informed you that the refund price would be 25 dollars, but it is actually 40 dollars, so do you agree to 40 dollars?

Me: Actually, your colleague told me it was 25 euros, and that's what it should be, because that's what it says on my ticket receipt.

Me: [Deciding that a fight over 24 dollars is not worth it and that I probably missed the fine print somewhere.] Ok, I agree.

Me: Ok, but I would like to use the avios for a different booking. How long do you think it will be.

[Very long and difficult period where we could not seem to communicate the letters in my PNR.]

IB: Ahh, I see the problem. It seems my partner informed you that the the fee would be 25 euros, but the actual fee is 40 dollars per ticket.

IB: Ok, please hold. [Long hold follows.] Ok, it is all set. I have sent it off.

I have spent hours on the phone with them, including related to this very issue. It took an extra week for me after they fixed this one. Best of luck...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by lkar
Three weeks ago.

[Two weeks later.]

2 Weeks and counting for me, simple cancellation, 1 lego on Iberia MAD-PVGm called 4 times, I am being told every-time that the adios will show up in 2 business days, they don't,,,

Today they say they have had issues (no kidding), but that things are back to normal, I still haven't received the email confirming the cancellation,

I am calling the Spanish line and my Spanish level is near native (no accent) yet it doesn't change anything, they invite me to put a complain online (like it will change anything)

Iberia... Some people say its Spain but I have been living there and even the government service are better run!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:44 am

Refunds are a real pain with Iberia sadly. You have to send multiple emails and make multiple phone calls to eventually get anything back. It is harder in Peak season also due to the volume.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:18 pm

try facebook page and instant message feature(or something like that)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Yup it takes forever. They show up eventually
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

And the answer is Sunday! Not one of the choices given but I will not complain.

No taxes yet but I was anxious for the miles. So a little over 3 weeks and just two follow up calls.
flyingislove likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.