RIO-LON Y, Iberia A330-200 or BA B788?

Old Jul 12, 19, 4:53 am
Original Poster

RIO-LON Y, Iberia A330-200 or BA B788?

Hi guys, I'm planning our trip to Brazil next year, and need your advice about our return flight.

Will be travelling economy RIO-LHR, and got 2 options: Iberia connecting flight GIG-MAD-LHR, operated on A330-200 (+A319) or BA direct flight GIG-LHR, operated on B787-8. Avios/taxes are almost the same, BA total flight duration is few hours shorter (obviously). What about comfort? I've never been on B787 but heard some horrible stories, about narrow seats, IFE boxes, weird recline etc. Which should I chose, IB A330 or BA B788?

Thnx
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
About the only reason to fly IB would be the 2-4-2 layout - if you are travelling as a couple and grab a window/aisle combination.

Otherwise just fly direct. It's Y so the differences are going to be minor.
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
About the only reason to fly IB would be the 2-4-2 layout - if you are travelling as a couple and grab a window/aisle combination.

Otherwise just fly direct. It's Y so the differences are going to be minor.
Seating is the only thing that bothers me - we are travelling as a couple, and I believe on IB I could choose seats (even extra legroom?), on BA I'll need to grab seats at T-24, and most likely at that time it won't be anything good.
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:54 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
I disagree with some of the previous advice: the 787 seating is much worse (no shoulder space). I had so far avoided flying on 787 with 3-3-3 seating but I got a taste on a recent DFW-EZE (fortunately on a half-empty plane). I would definitely fly through Madrid.
Old Jul 12, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
The 787 is probably the worst TATL experience. The 330, probably the best.
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I actually think it's worth the connection to avoid the 787 long haul, and BA have a particularly tight version of it in Y too. the A330/340 is the most comfortable plane there is in Y. I actually made the same decision for my trip MEX-LHR, I'm flying Iberia through Madrid even though BA direct were the same price. 11 odd hours in a 787 in Y is god awful. The long haul part is what will affect what state I arrive at destination and a 2 hour flight at the end is by the by for whether my experience is horrendous or reasonable, I know if its off a 787 I won't have slept and will have spent a long time in that fight purgatory of the flight time remaining never seeming to get less. An A340 I can actually enjoy, it really does make that much difference to me. And I'm not even a big guy.

Search this Thread