FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Can you change randomly allocated seat after online check in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1977440-can-you-change-randomly-allocated-seat-after-online-check.html)

nallison Jul 9, 2019 5:10 pm

Can you change randomly allocated seat after online check in?

So I have a return flight MEX-Mad in, ay next month and aim struggling to make head or tail of their seat selection policy.

Firstly, they say if I pay for a seat now I can't change it again until online check in, which seems crazy and means there's absolutely no point me paying for a seat before then when I don't know how the seat map will look on departure day so can't make an informed decision.

So what I want to know is, with Iberia can you go to online check-in, see the seat it has assigned you, and then choose to purchase a seat? And if you purchase a seat then can you change this seat after that, before getting your boarding pass or do you get one shot and that's it? I guess ideally I'd see what they assign me, and then pay for a seat later in the check in period when I see where the more empty rows are (I. E. increasing my likelihood of an empty seat next to me)

Overall, seems a pretty ridiculous system, I cannot understand the logic behind not letting you change a seat assignment between paying for it and check in.

Thanks for any tips.

tobsw Jul 10, 2019 2:45 am

Your flight is likely gonna be at 100% - get yourself an seat at the emergency exit. There's a reason why IB flies that often MAD-MEX (x3 daily in the summer), and it's not because loads are light.

nallison Jul 10, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by tobsw (Post 31288136)
Your flight is likely gonna be at 100% - get yourself an seat at the emergency exit. There's a reason why IB flies that often MAD-MEX (x3 daily in the summer), and it's not because loads are light.

​​​​​​
Thanks, seems logical. Although, they actually had a brief sale on when I bought the flights with prices for the mid two weeks of August far below anything I've ever seen for this trip, which I thought strange for mid-summer. 12,500 pesos return, which for Mex-anywhere in Europe I don't think I've seen at any time of year before, and prices are still reasonably low around those dates, which suggests to me it's not particularly well loads, which is why I was considering my strategy. But pricing algorithms can be mysterious!

I presumed because the Mexican school holidays are actually almost over by that point, so the rush to Europe will be over. I would imagine they carry a hell of a lot of cargo on that route, so some lightly loaded flights probably just allow them to clear some cargo backlog.

A good point to consider though, thanks for your response. Do you know about changing your seat during online check in once you've made a selection? I now some airlines you can, some you can't, usually once you complete th process and and obtain your boarding pass

tobsw Jul 11, 2019 3:33 am

Originally Posted by nallison (Post 31288724)
​​​​​​
Thanks, seems logical. Although, they actually had a brief sale on when I bought the flights with prices for the mid two weeks of August far below anything I've ever seen for this trip, which I thought strange for mid-summer. 12,500 pesos return, which for Mex-anywhere in Europe I don't think I've seen at any time of year before, and prices are still reasonably low around those dates, which suggests to me it's not particularly well loads, which is why I was considering my strategy. But pricing algorithms can be mysterious!

I presumed because the Mexican school holidays are actually almost over by that point, so the rush to Europe will be over. I would imagine they carry a hell of a lot of cargo on that route, so some lightly loaded flights probably just allow them to clear some cargo backlog.

A good point to consider though, thanks for your response. Do you know about changing your seat during online check in once you've made a selection? I now some airlines you can, some you can't, usually once you complete th process and and obtain your boarding pass

Nowadays, airlines just want to fill their seats - airlines are price takers. IB seat load factor for june were pretty much close to 90% (whole network)... If you are lucky you may get a seat free next to you in the last row.

Personally I don't know because I can select seats for free. If you purchase Optima fare you can change your seat in the app until check-in closes (I think). I'm unaware if paying for seat selection in Basic you are then allowed to change seats for free until check-in closes.

nallison Jul 11, 2019 10:55 am

OK, thanks, I appreciate your response. I've got Optima on the way back (cheaper than basic for that flight bizarrely). I find their exit row prices a little extortionate as personally I don't really get much out of them, especially if there's any chance of having a normal seat with an empty one next to me which I find far preferable. So I guess I'll wait till the day and see how the flight looks and how the system works. Cheers!