Skip last leg on Iberia

Old Jun 23, 19, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Question Skip last leg on Iberia

Traveling ATL-CLT-CDG / CDG-CLT-ATL. I need to skip the last leg (i.e. CLT-ATL). Only carry-on luggage. Booked on Iberia.com from the US; all flights are codeshare on AA.

Given the passenger-favorable Spanish Supreme Court ruling on skiplagging, do you all think there is any risk associated with skipping that last leg in the US? (i.e. extra charges, lost AA miles, etc.)

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 19, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Considering you want to earn AA miles on AA flights (regardless of codesharing), you're probably better off asking in the AAdvantage forum.
Old Jun 23, 19, 7:35 am
Original Poster

I don't mind foregoing the AA miles if it's the only issue that could get me suspended from the AA program. It's not many miles.

Also, the flight just disappeared on Iberia, but is available on expedia.com does that change anything now that a 3rd party agent is in the middle?

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Iberia or Expedia won't care in the slightest whether you skip an AA flight or not. But it's not clear whether you've booked or not.

As for AAdvantage, I don't think they make a big deal about a one-off situation. If you did it regularly that could be different.

Was there actually a substantial fare reduction by connecting through to ATL instead of just flying direct? If not, there's even less reason to be worried.
Old Jun 23, 19, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This won't matter so long as you do not do it repeatedly. You could even do it if you had luggage checked to ATL as you must claim it at CLT, carry it through CBP and drop it post-CBP. Simply leave the airport at CLT and you are done. You will not earn miles for the segment not flown.
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post

Was there actually a substantial fare reduction by connecting through to ATL instead of just flying direct? If not, there's even less reason to be worried.
YES, $1000+ per ticket cheaper flying through ATL vs directly from CLT (on the same flight) and I have 3 pax. Also, I am going to be in ATL anyway. Hence looking to fly out of there.
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This won't matter so long as you do not do it repeatedly. You could even do it if you had luggage checked to ATL as you must claim it at CLT, carry it through CBP and drop it post-CBP. Simply leave the airport at CLT and you are done. You will not earn miles for the segment not flown.
Thanks! Never ever done this in my life, but saving $1000 per ticket is so enticing that I might do it even if I have to fly back to ATL.
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Iberia or Expedia won't care in the slightest whether you skip an AA flight or not. But it's not clear whether you've booked or not.
Not booked yet. I am hesitant to pull the trigger, but encouraged by the comments here.
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Decided not to book ... found an even better deal for Spain instead, from CLT!

Search this Thread