Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Paying for upgrade

Hi, I'm flying MVD-MAD-TLV and then MAD-MVD in August.

Before booking, I have been reading on IB website about upgrading and it said that you can do it with Avios, by bidding or paying a flat rate they ask you before the flight. It didn't say anything about "basic fares not allowed to upgrade class".

So I've bought my flights, the leg MAD-TLV is operated by El-Al. Now, I am not being able to fin the ticket conditions anywhere, plus I've called Iberia (because they never reply on their facebook messenger) and they told me that "basic fares are not allowed to pay or bid for upgrades". Where can I find that information? I'm not even being able to find out which tariff I have booked. I'm sure it's not the most basic one as mine includes baggage and free seat selection within 24 hours of the flight plus some other perks.

Does anyone know how upgrades work in this case?

Thank you.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
First of all you can't upgrade the flight(s) operated by LY.

Re your main question, this is a quite common restriction (in fact, I can't think of an airline that doesn't have this restriction, off the top of my head). You can find the info here: https://www.iberia.com/es/iberiaplus/using-my-avios/

Or use them on Iberia flights to upgrade from Flexible Economy (fares Y, B or H) to Business class.
This is not a restriction on just Basic fares, in fact you can only upgrade on full fare Economy tickets (sometimes even more expensive than Business outright!).

What you could do in the future is fly BA (and combine Avios over to BAEC), as you can upgrade from all Economy fares except the lowest three (four?). Note that BA don't fly to MVD, though.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

​​​​​​hi and thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention that I’m only interested in upgrading for the IB legs and not the LY.

I don’t have avios, but on their website they say you can upgrade using cash at check in, on this link: How can I swap my Economy ticket for Business or Premium Economy class? (Upgrading)

and about other airlines, I used to fly LA on their SCL-AKL-SYD route quite often and was always able to bid for upgrades even when I bought the cheapest economy fare available and sometimes on sale (about USD 900 round trip MVD-SCL-AKL-SYD).

Apparently if you link your flight to your Iberia plus account, you might be eligible to receive emails for bidding for upgrades, but IB website doesn’t seem to work very well, as I’ve created a Iberia Plus account and it doesn’t let me add my flight to “my flights”, I have to search for it using my pnr every time I log in.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It's not linked to IB+, I've received the offer a number of times when using my BA number.

It's not a sure-fire way of upgrading. If you want to guarantee you travel in W/J, you're best buying that outright. This is by design, precisely to avoid creating expectations that you can end up in the front cabins 'cheaply'.

The offer goes by booking, rather than by flight. If they decide to invite you to bid, or to offer you a 'cheap' upgrade, they'll e-mail you or you'll see it at OLCI. You can also ask at the airport on the day of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.