Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

MAD transit on IB flights with split tickets. No checked bags.

Old Jun 17, 19, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold

ORD-MAD on one ticket and then MAD-LHR. Separate tickets. Will it be possible for me to act as a transit passenger on one ticket if I don’t have to check bags? What if for some reason I cannot print my MAD to LHR boarding pass before leaving ORD? Will there be a place to do that in transit or will I be required to cleat at the large immigration area and re-check in at the ticket counter?

Edit: Man, sorry about the thread title. Apple autocorrect. What a mess. Hopefully, the point still gets across.
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:12 pm

Should be possible without any problems. If you don't have a boarding pass you should be able to get one at a transit desk. Having a printout of the eticket just in case would be useful also.
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Are you flying BA or IB to LHR?
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar View Post
ORD-MAD on one ticket and then MAD-LHR. Separate tickets. Will it be possible for me to act as a transit passenger on one ticket if I don’t have to check bags? What if for some reason I cannot print my MAD to LHR boarding pass before leaving ORD? Will there be a place to do that in transit or will I be required to cleat at the large immigration area and re-check in at the ticket counter?
How long between the flights?
Passport from which country?

What airlines ORD-MAD & MAD-LHR? On separate tickets you are taking full risk.
However AA has a policy of protection on OW airlines (not a Oneworld policy)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 17, 19 at 3:41 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Sorry again for the bad title. It is all IB metal, or I could go IB to BA. I haven't purchased the MAD to LON ticket yet and so could go with anything from a 1:05 connection to a 4:00 connection or even more. USA passport.

I understand that protecting me on a future flight is at IB's discretion in the event of a misconnect. Timing is not a huge deal for me so if we have to overnight in MAD that wouldn't be awful, and it looks as though day of mileage tickets on IB and BA are reasonably available and the walk up prices are not crazy, so I'm willing to take the chance. Just was wondering what would be involved if the inbound is late and what kind of connection I should be looking at.

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog View Post
Should be possible without any problems. If you don't have a boarding pass you should be able to get one at a transit desk. Having a printout of the eticket just in case would be useful also.
Great -- that's what I was wondering, whether there's a transit desk that will print my boarding pass if I need one without having to enter T4 arrivals.

Edit: Many thanks to the mod for fixing my title!
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would go for the 4:00 between the flights. 65 minutes is not long between flights. Check in for LHR will close maybe 20/30/?? minutes before scheduled departure.

You do not have a connection in the normal airline use of that term. A connection is between flight on the same ticket
Old Jun 17, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
BA is a little better in your case, since it would also depart from T4S, shortening the connection time. In any case, it should be fine, there's always the app for boarding passes. If the expense and delay of a rebooking are not a huge deal, without baggage I would happily book a short connection, certainly less than 4 hours. Possibly not the Basic Economy fare, though (unless it is really very cheap), but one allowing changes for a fee, since if you are delayed you will likely know before departure and could call ahead to rebook.
Old Jun 17, 19, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone. It is really quite helpful.
Old Jun 18, 19, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
You are GUARANTEED that neither IB or BA will NOT protect you for missing flights on separate tickets on their own metal. Speaking from experience!

You will arrive at T4S. Some flights to London depart from Terminal 4. To get from T4S to T4 you need to pass immigration however you should be able to avoid that. If the flight to London departs from T4 ask at the T4S tranfer desk whether there will be a bus from a gate at T4S for your flight. Lounge at T4S is marginally better and you will avoid two lots of immigration checks. Watch out though and make sure you are at the T4S gate in plenty of time. If the bus leaves without you, then you will need to buy a new ticket!
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
This is not guaranteed connection however it will all happen in Terminal 4S so I say 2 hours is fine, 3 if you wanna take a shower after red eye. Of course there might be delays and then who knows if 2 or 10 hours are enough.
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've transited T4S with ease in 30 minutes, so I would join the choir here and say that it's very doable, but delays are delays, and Chicago weather is unpredictable, so give yourself enough time. You should be able to get a mobile BP between MAD-LHR with BA (which sounds like the recommended option), as long as you don't purchase a codeshare flight.
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. It looks as though if I book the onward ticket as an IB award then I can cancel relatively cheaply 24 hours before the flight, and I can also change the ticket before departure. So, I guess I can check to see if the inbound flight to ORD is significantly delayed at 24+ and then maybe again before departing from ORD I may have a chance to make a change if things are looking delayed.
Old Jun 19, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
You can only change if there is Avios availability - used to be sort of reliable, except on busy travel days, but has become more difficult recently, even weeks out for certain days/flights. I'm not sure you can change IB+ award tickets within 24 hours of departure, mind.

You won't know much 24 hours before departure, unless there's a heavy storm or similar approaching. You're best buying a Plus ticket on BA (on a BA operated flight) - on the day (5pm ORD time the day before) you can change that to any other BA MAD-LHR the same day that has a physical seat available, assuming you change at least 1h before the departure of your flight and 1h from the departure time of the flight you want to move to. Easy changes via the app too, and can be made after you've checked in.
lkar likes this.

Search this Thread