Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Emailed & told to be at the airport 4 hrs early for US flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker

Have this emailed to me today ahead of my AGP-MAD-MIA flight later next week.

New US entry requirements from 24 April 2018. In view of the security measures now demanded by the USA, you must arrive at the airport four hours before the departure of your flight to allow enough time to go through the security controls and reach the boarding gate.

Now four hours does seem a little extreme. I guess they mean in Malaga as I have 90 mins connection in Madrid. Its the first time I have seen this message from Iberia having done other flights to the US since this new guideline came out last year.

Surley its a little overkill?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It's a message sent to everyone departing to the US, though it should only be sent out to MAD originating pax.

Either way, 4 hours is overkill and I'm not sure why they send that out. From MAD, I would say 2h is more than enough. From outstations - the usual time, maybe about 10mins more if you have 'unusual' documentation.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:28 pm

Yes, you can safely ignore it.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
4 hours is overkill, but keep in mind that summer can get crazy busy for holiday flights to the US. When you get several full flights departing at roughly the same time, all leaving from the same gates at MAD, it becomes a zoo, with no guarantees that you can fast track your way to your flight if you leave the lounge too late...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The bottleneck is often at the National Police checkpoint for exiting the country. 20 minutes to clear is not unusual, especially in the 9 am - 12 noon timeframe. But yes, four hours is highly exaggerated. Buen viaje!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:34 pm

Are there fast tracks for Biz and First passengers for security checks or passport control? What about the at-gate extra security check for US-bound flights?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Security - yes.
Passport - no.
At-gate - no, I think.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
At-gate - no, I think.
Yes, before entering the section of the T4S terminal dedicated to US flights there is an additional passport check and this has a priority lane.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, nice. Never seen it before. Is it just AA that doesn't have it, or am I getting confused and they have it too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.