Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Strategy and Hassles for booking two segments separately

Old May 27, 19, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P

I am trying to book SVQ to JFK with a connection in MAD. However, I found that booking two separate tickets, i.e. SVQ to MAD and MAD to JFK is much cheaper than booking on one ticket.

Is this normal? I am booking the basic economy. Can my luggage be checked in all the way to JFK if I buy two separate tickets? Can I get seat assignment and boarding pass for JFK when I check in at SVQ? Thank you, all.
Old May 27, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Two separate tickets means that you cannot check luggage through. Also note that Basic Economy doesn't allow you to check luggage unless you have elite status with a Oneworld airline.

You also aren't protected if your first flight arrives late and you miss the second flight.

If you wish to proceed, make sure to leave at least 4-5 hours of margin, preferably an overnight in MAD.
kgkg and orbitmic like this.
Old May 27, 19, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I generally advise an overnight but, in any event at least 2-3x the MCT. You are taking 100% of the risk and on the outbound, if you no show for your long-haul flight, you will need to purchase a new ticket (return) at walk-up prices.

Be very sure that the savings are worth the risk.
kgkg likes this.
Old May 27, 19, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Craig and Often for your suggestion. I will fly to Madrid one night before to avoid the potential risk. My flight MAD-JFK leaves at 4pm. What hotel should I stay at and what activities can you recommend for the day of departure? I have a 5-year and a 8-year old with me.

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Two separate tickets means that you cannot check luggage through. Also note that Basic Economy doesn't allow you to check luggage unless you have elite status with a Oneworld airline.

You also aren't protected if your first flight arrives late and you miss the second flight.

If you wish to proceed, make sure to leave at least 4-5 hours of margin, preferably an overnight in MAD.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I generally advise an overnight but, in any event at least 2-3x the MCT. You are taking 100% of the risk and on the outbound, if you no show for your long-haul flight, you will need to purchase a new ticket (return) at walk-up prices.

Be very sure that the savings are worth the risk.
Old May 28, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kgkg View Post
Thank you Craig and Often for your suggestion. I will fly to Madrid one night before to avoid the potential risk. My flight MAD-JFK leaves at 4pm. What hotel should I stay at and what activities can you recommend for the day of departure? I have a 5-year and a 8-year old with me.
I would take the train from Seville and stay somewhere near Atocha station. From there you'd have the cercanias train to T4 for the next day and you'd also be close to the Retiro park for the kids to run around in...
Old May 28, 19, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I would take the train from Seville and stay somewhere near Atocha station. From there you'd have the cercanias train to T4 for the next day and you'd also be close to the Retiro park for the kids to run around in...
Thank you Craig. Excellent idea. I will do that then.
Old May 29, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: Iberia Plus
Definately the best option is to take the high speed train to Madrid, its much faster as the doors of the train close 2 minutes before departure so if you're in the station 15-20 minutes beforehand you'll have plenty of time. Lots of train frequency as well within the day and the reliability is pretty good.

Beware that this monday June 2nd 2019 there are construction works affecting the Cercanias (short range trains) for some time so it will be a bit more complicated to go with the train to T4 of Barajas. The best option would be to take the direct bus to the airport that departs from Atocha station.

Best regards
Old May 29, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Brumario! Fortunately, I am not going on June 2nd.

Originally Posted by brumario View Post
Definately the best option is to take the high speed train to Madrid, its much faster as the doors of the train close 2 minutes before departure so if you're in the station 15-20 minutes beforehand you'll have plenty of time. Lots of train frequency as well within the day and the reliability is pretty good.

Beware that this monday June 2nd 2019 there are construction works affecting the Cercanias (short range trains) for some time so it will be a bit more complicated to go with the train to T4 of Barajas. The best option would be to take the direct bus to the airport that departs from Atocha station.

Best regards
Old May 29, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
The works start on June 2nd, until November.
Old May 30, 19, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
The works start on June 2nd, until November.
Thanks! That is good to know.
Old Jun 1, 19, 10:05 am

I have been trying to figure out the Basic Economy checked bag policy and I found out that for transatlantic flights there is a $60 1st bag fee...at least for AA flights operated by IB https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Diztravel View Post
I have been trying to figure out the Basic Economy checked bag policy and I found out that for transatlantic flights there is a $60 1st bag fee...at least for AA flights operated by IB https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
In Europe, Oneworld Sapphires and Emeralds definitely get a free checked bag on IB metal, even when booking Basic.

TATL codeshares? Should be operating carrier policy but I couldn't say for sure.

Search this Thread