Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Transfer BCN T1 - Air Nostrum - BA/IB - security?

Old May 21, 19, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

I'll be flying from BJZ (Badajoz) to London VIA BCN. For the connection at BCN T1 do you need to go through security again, or can you exit the plane and walk to the next gate?

Looking at flight options and purchasing the flight on one ticket/PNR with IB is more expensive than seperate tickets with the BCN-LHR flights on BA, hence the question.
Old May 21, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
All Schengen flights arrive clean into BCN and there is no need to repeat security.

You will need to go upstairs and pass through passport control however.

Leave plenty of time as you won't be protected for any delays in your Badajoz flight to BCN.
Old May 21, 19, 10:34 am

I'll ask: what about security on arrival from the U.S.? Connecting from Level to Vueling intra-Schengen.
Old May 21, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
I'll ask: what about security on arrival from the U.S.? Connecting from Level to Vueling intra-Schengen.
You need to go through security (and immigration). The airport is not set up to segregate non-Schengen arrivals from 'safe' locations (the way AMS is for example)
rove312 likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
All Schengen flights arrive clean into BCN and there is no need to repeat security.

You will need to go upstairs and pass through passport control however.

Leave plenty of time as you won't be protected for any delays in your Badajoz flight to BCN.
GREAT - thank-you!
Old May 22, 19, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LaydeeSarah View Post
I'll be flying from BJZ (Badajoz) to London VIA BCN. For the connection at BCN T1 do you need to go through security again, or can you exit the plane and walk to the next gate?

Looking at flight options and purchasing the flight on one ticket/PNR with IB is more expensive than seperate tickets with the BCN-LHR flights on BA, hence the question.
Is there a particular reason why you want to fly to BJZ-MAD via BCN? It's normally way cheaper to connect in Madrid, plus you have more frequencies with both IB and BA. I have done BJZ-LHR quite a number of times (all my family lives there), and except for once, it's been always substantially cheaper to fly via MAD.

I would only suggest flying via BCN if: i) you give yourself plenty of time between flights in the case of separate bookings AND ii) your flight is during summer time.

BJZ is a little airport located very close to Guadiana river. The area is known for very heavy morning fogs from the end of November till beginning of February. ILS is installed at the airport but is only Cat I (nor sure either the CRJs that operate the routes to MAD and BCN are certified for ILS Cat II/III), so during that time of the year cancellations and diversions to SVQ are quite common (Just as an example, during the month of Dec18, there were 26 cancellations and 10 diversions to SVQ. Link in Spanish: https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2019/0...d6a8b459f.html )

The flights BCN-BJZ-BCN tend to be normally before noon, so last winter were the most affected ones.

Nevertheless, once you're at the airport, I suggest you enjoy a traditional breakfast at the cafeteria (high-street prices), whether tostadas con jamon y tomate or migas extremeñas
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4lB3R70 View Post
Is there a particular reason why you want to fly to BJZ-MAD via BCN? It's normally way cheaper to connect in Madrid, plus you have more frequencies with both IB and BA. I have done BJZ-LHR quite a number of times (all my family lives there), and except for once, it's been always substantially cheaper to fly via MAD.
Sorry, just seen your reply. We didnt mind which city we connected to, but BCN worked out better for us for flight times on one of the legs. At LHR the terminals are different for BCN and MAD so decided to stick to one routing so the car was at the terminal we landed at
4lB3R70 likes this.

Search this Thread