FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Medical equipment (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1970235-medical-equipment.html)

beachfan May 18, 2019 2:54 am

Medical equipment

i carry my cpap in a separate cabin bag (Tumi wheeled deluxe brief) along with the lithium battery and my meds.

in the US, that is allowed in addition to my carryon .

IB gave me a very hard time saying I had to check the carryon. Is that correct? One bag limit and if you have medical equipment that counts?(of course, I could have gotten by with just the CPAP bag; that would have been smaller than the Tumi rolling brief).

i was in economy, connecting from TATL business class on IB

craigthemif May 18, 2019 7:16 am

The US also allows emotional support pit bulls and carry-on luggage to block the emergency exits.

Ultimately the rules are different in Europe vs. the US. In Europe, whenever a second piece - i.e. personal item - is allowed, it needs to fit under the seat in front of you. If both pieces are too large and one can go in the hold, then one will go in the hold...

https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/hand-luggage/

beachfan May 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks .

I am familiar with that page. Also the page for checked luggage. However, when connecting to TATL intl j , that luggage allowance is what governs on the domestic (within Spain) connecting flight in spite of the listed limitations on checked bags. So I was wondering whether that was true as well for carryon as you get two carryon bags for long haul intl J

craigthemif May 20, 2019 6:50 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 31117934)
Thanks .

I am familiar with that page. Also the page for checked luggage. However, when connecting to TATL intl j , that luggage allowance is what governs on the domestic (within Spain) connecting flight in spite of the listed limitations on checked bags. So I was wondering whether that was true as well for carryon as you get two carryon bags for long haul intl J

No, you don't get extra carry-on because you are connecting from long haul.

It's about bin space, not the type of ticket. The short hauls simply don't have the room for two items in the overhead bins for even a small number of passengers, so the only exception is emergency exit. (assuming that the personal item would otherwise fit under the seat)

beachfan May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks.

They said I would have if the short haul was in business class (even though the page says only one).

Guess that’s a reason to spend the extra miles for business class, as the seats are the same (assuming the flight isn’t full) and I can keep the empty seat between us in coach).

malagajohn May 21, 2019 5:28 am

If your domestic sector is operated by Air Nostrum you will only be allowed a small personal item . All other hand luggage is checked at the door of the plane . You will get it back when you deplane again at the door of the plane.

Barkinpark May 21, 2019 4:43 pm

Air Nostrum

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 31122921)
If your domestic sector is operated by Air Nostrum you will only be allowed a small personal item . All other hand luggage is checked at the door of the plane . You will get it back when you deplane again at the door of the plane.

I also will carry my CPAP machine + battery with me. In addition, I will have my laptop. I don't think all this will fit in a personal item. Nor can I check these in. As a woman, I also have my purse! Do you mean that Air Nostrom:

1. Allows only personal item on-board, OR

2. Allows either personal item or standard hand luggage on-board?

What if my ticket was sold by Iberia?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

BA6501 May 21, 2019 7:42 pm

It's the standard allowance. Doesn't matter how you booked it, no ifs, no buts, any larger items of hand baggage are gate checked and gate delivered. These are regional jets and standard carry-ons simply would not fit on board.

malagajohn May 22, 2019 6:28 pm

As BA6501 says the problem is space on board . Air Nostrum planes have virtually no space to stow anything overhead . A small back pack is possible and thats it . All normal carry ons are checked at the side of the plane and returned there. . I normally hand my regular carry on at the door pf the plane and carry my laaptop and a very small back pack with my personal stuff. . I have no idea if they give a special dispensation for medical equipment . It probably depends on the size , as there is no room to store any large items.

tnt10 Jan 20, 2020 9:33 pm

So I too travel with a CPAP machine, and it's case is 13" X 11" X 5". This CANNOT be checked into the hold. It is fragile and very expensive. I'm starting to second-guess as to weather I should fly Air Nostrum in an ATR 72.... especially when I hear how rough they handle the luggage, gate checked especially...

Actually I'm really confused, per the Iberia link above:
"Iberia Group Flights (Iberia, Iberia Express and Iberia Regional Air Nostrum)
Business Class - Short / Medium Haul / Premium Economy
1 cabin bag +
1 personal accessory"

So, why do they say this if they are going to gate-check items??
And where does an award ticket fall as far as Business Promotional or Business Flexible?
Thanks everyone!

tobsw Jan 21, 2020 2:48 am

If you require medical equipment, my advice is to call IB directly and ask whether medical equipment is outside the normal allowance and whether it's gate checked-in.

craigthemif Jan 21, 2020 3:02 am

Originally Posted by tnt10 (Post 31975468)

So, why do they say this if they are going to gate-check items??

There's a huge difference between "gate-check" to the hold (and it coming out on the baggage carousel), and having your larger carryon taken at the aircraft door and returned to you at the aircraft door.

It's not just Air Nostrum. I've been on many a short flight in North America where exactly the same rules applied.

Anyhow, the better solution may be to take the train from Madrid to your final destination. As has been mentioned throughout this thread, buying a Business Class ticket (or reward) doesn't magically create additional space in the overhead bins.

Barkinpark Jan 21, 2020 12:30 pm

The issue with Air Nostrum is the size of their overhead bins. They are tiny.

alanw Jan 22, 2020 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Barkinpark (Post 31978154)
The issue with Air Nostrum is the size of their overhead bins. They are tiny.

As they are with all RJs, including tons of routes on nearly all US-based carriers (that is to say, this isn't specific to Europe or Iberia). Every time I fly DFW or ORD to COU on AA or UA, everything but my very small laptop bag goes in the hold, even if I'm on an F ticket. Same with SFO to PSP on AS.

Often1 Jan 22, 2020 5:39 am

If indeed the CPAP machine must be gate-checked (whether returned planeside or at baggage claim), as with any breakable item, I would pack it in a secure case such as a Pelican. That is what professionals traveling with sensitive equipment use for equivalent materials.

Ir is also worth determining whether the OH bin or underseat area can accommodate just the machine and not any of its attachments such as power source and the like.