FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Trying to understand Iberia earnings on Business Tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1970167-trying-understand-iberia-earnings-business-tickets.html)

EndlosLuft May 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Trying to understand Iberia earnings on Business Tickets

Hello there,

I'm an experienced frequent flyer on Star carriers where United has been my program of choice. With all the changes United has been making I want to take more of my business elsewhere and am looking to build to build status with a Oneworld Carrier. The places I travel to are primarily the US and from Germany to Spain. My choice seems to be between BA and Iberia since I'm not a fan of American's frequent flyer program.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much would I earn with Iberia based on the way I fly.

Does the math below look right to you experienced Iberia Plus flyers?

Flight from/to Airline and class of service Elite points awarded by Iberia for status
TXL-PHL (AA Business I class) 500
PHL-TPA (AA Business I class) 115
TPA-PHL (AA Business I class) 115
PHL-LHR (BA Business I class) 500
LHR-TXL (BA Business I class) 115

TXL-LHR (BA Business I class) 115
LHR-CLT (AA Business I class) 500
CLT-TPA (AA Business I class) 75
TPA-MIA (AA Economy Y class) 50
MIA-MAD (IB Business I class) 500
MAD-TXL (IB Business I class) 225

ARN-LHR (BA Business I class) 115
LHR-IAD (BA Business I class) 500
IAD-LHR (BA Business I class) 500
LHR-ARN (BA Business I class) 115

Total: 4040 Elite points

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Yllanes May 17, 2019 4:09 pm

It looks correct to me. My only doubt is that LHR-TXL is right at the edge of 600 mi, so it could be 75 Elite Points. You will IB+ Oro (OW Sapphire) after your MIA-MAD flight.

craigthemif May 18, 2019 3:40 am

Originally Posted by EndlosLuft (Post 31112292)
My choice seems to be between BA and Iberia since I'm not a fan of American's frequent flyer program.

I can make three general comments that might help.
  1. If you fly 3,000+ mile segments in J regularly, then IB+ is very attractive because you receive far more value in "Elite Points" than value as "Tier Points"
  2. For the shorter flights, BA "Tier Points" are a bit better than IB+ "Elite Points"
  3. If you can get to IB+ Platino, that gets you 2 years of status. BA Gold only ever gets you one year (plus anything remaining in your first year qualifying...)

EndlosLuft May 21, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31113610)
I can make three general comments that might help.
  1. If you fly 3,000+ mile segments in J regularly, then IB+ is very attractive because you receive far more value in "Elite Points" than value as "Tier Points"
  2. For the shorter flights, BA "Tier Points" are a bit better than IB+ "Elite Points"
  3. If you can get to IB+ Platino, that gets you 2 years of status. BA Gold only ever gets you one year (plus anything remaining in your first year qualifying...)

I noticed that. But on the flip side there is no soft landing to Silver like BA, right?