Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Minors connecting in Madrid- customs and immigration info?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Hello! My two teenage sons (16 and 13) will be traveling from Chicago to a summer camp in Alicante. They will be connecting in Madrid, all flights in one ticket with Iberia. I believe that they will have to go thru immigration in Madrid but will they also have to get their checked luggage in Madrid, clear customs and then re-check it for the flight to Alicante? Or will their luggage be checked all the way to Alicante? Will they have to go to the Iberia counter at the Madrid airport to check in or go straight to their gate? I am a little nervous because they will be on their own and their Spanish is limited. They have 4 hrs in Madrid between flights. I will appreciate any information!
Old May 10, 2019, 5:56 pm

When they arrive in MAD they have to go to immigration, then to the transit to T4 (gates H-J-K), security check and to their gate. It is all very clearly signed. They do not have to pick up their bags in Madrid.
Momof2NE likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
And a minor point that may help any confusion - after taking the transit to T4 (H-J-K) then the elevators up from the platform, they will arrive in baggage claim. Sharp double right from the elevators will put them directly at connections security. No need to pick up luggage.

This differs to most non-US airports where connecting pax take a different path, nowhere near baggage claim.
Momof2NE likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
And a minor point that may help any confusion - after taking the transit to T4 (H-J-K) then the elevators up from the platform, they will arrive in baggage claim. Sharp double right from the elevators will put them directly at connections security. No need to pick up luggage.

This differs to most non-US airports where connecting pax take a different path, nowhere near baggage claim.
True, but since you must pass through a security check regardless (and have already done passport control), it's hardly the end of the world to end up in Arrivals and have to go back upstairs to Departures.

The key element is knowing that you don't need to pick up luggage at MAD. That is the major difference for anybody accustomed to the American system of customs clearance.
Momof2NE likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, my point was more related to the fact that, for most people being in baggage claim = need to pick it up (or thinking you're in the wrong place). In this case, then it's totally normal.
Momof2NE likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Another minor point - when your kids arrive in Alicante they pick up their bags at the area controlled by Customs. Its not the same belt as the regular flight , but adjacent . All non Schengen bags are delivered there. Maybe some ALC regular can be more precise.
Momof2NE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.