Left luggage at carousel. Whom to contact?

Old May 5, 19, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier
Left luggage at carousel. Whom to contact?

Hi IB experts, iím in a lurch and need your help. So I was connecting IB to QR in MAD on a separate ticket with checked in baggage but my IB flight was delayed, landed on remote terminal and wasnít there by the time I need to start moving to make it for QR flight. So we decided to abandon the luggages to make it to our connecting flight. Now the question is, what can we do now to retrieve our luggage or arrange it to be delivered to our home? TIA
Old May 5, 19, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Call Iberia baggage services. Expect to pay a substantial amount to have your bags sent to you.

https://www.iberia.com/gb/contact/
Old May 5, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, the baggage center phone no was what I tried calling earlier as I was boarding my QR flight but aside from very long spanish prompt which I couldnít understand the english option led me to a guy in ticket sales who understandably couldnít help much. Was wondering if anyone had similar situation before. It was just frustrating how very little the ground/phone staff cared about our condition or in offering help when we asked for it.
Old May 5, 19, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In any event, the bags are with IB. They may have been returned to their origin if not picked up and carted through customs (presuming that there was a customs inspection to be had) or they may simply be sitting at MAD.

In any event, this is simply an IB baggage services issue.

You were not connecting at MAD and thus this will likely become an air freight issue. But, don't take any steps in that direction until you have reached someone at MAD. Likely during regular business hours.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bakaneko85 View Post
It was just frustrating how very little the ground/phone staff cared about our condition or in offering help when we asked for it.
Speaking Spanish helps a great deal with Iberia, but ultimately there are indeed a lot of unempowered and unmotivated staff.

But rather than blame Iberia, who delivered you and your luggage to MAD as contracted, the first person to blame is the person who didn't leave enough time to connect on separate tickets. Myself and others on the IB board frequently answer queries about checked luggage at MAD and reply that it is notoriously slow, adnt that's before accounting for any delays. If you think you need 3 hours to connect on separate tickets, you really need 5 or 6 with checked bags, preferably an overnight...

I hope that you are eventually reunited with your bags, but the choice of itinerary was yours, as was the choice to abandon bags.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 5:58 am

Do not use the word "connection" when considering separate tickets. They are no such thing.

When booking separate tickets, 100% of the risk falls on the passenger. Thus, time frames are up to the customer. My general advice is to allow 3-4 the MCT as a rule of thumb. This accounts for the ordinary delays which sometimes occur and are then handled by the late delivering carrier. Best is to plan an overnight between such tickets, particularly when the onwards ticket may be expensive or, as here, there are expensive and logistically difficult problems.

The flip side is that one may always find "that" agent who simply reroutes the bags to your current destination. You would be very lucky and ought not to plan on it, but asking is free.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I completely am aware the blame also falls on me. In my defense, I was actually supposed to leave on 1 earlier flight (the one leaving at 7:35 and arriving at 10:15 on IB); I even stayed at Sheraton Amsterdam airport hotel the night before; But having been delayed the day before and got so tired, I made a mistake of getting out of the hotel only 60 min before the flight time, completely underestimating things, and after only 3 hours of sleep the night (day?) before my mind was not completely clear; and I made the stupid mistake of confusing the boarding gate info with the check in desk info; by the time I arrived at the right check in gate 2 min past the 45 min check in deadline, the staff were gone and I had to shell $$$ to rebook my flight for the next one. So yes I messed up but not because I did not leave enough time in between flights originally (although technically even this one meets the MCT). All iím asking is for info from members who might have experienced this before, and for some understanding/sympathy from IB staff.
Old May 6, 19, 9:40 am

What happens here will depend on IB staff and whether they help you out as a favor.

IB, of course, has the ability to route luggage to pretty much any destination in the world. But, it is unlikely to help here. If that is the case, you would need to find a MAD-based freight forwarder which would pick up the cases at MAD and air freight them to you and then work with a customs broker to clear the bags and either deliver them to you or make them available for pick up.

No way to predict until you call IB.
Old May 6, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

update: I reported this to JL lost and found department who are responsible for handling OW related baggage issues in HND yesterday night when I arrived and they couldnít be more helpful, complete opposite to IB agents, even though they technically had nothing to do with it (and IB doesnít even fly to HND). Just got a call that one of the bags have been found at MAD and is on the way to be delivered free of charge. Still looking for the other one, but my hope is high. Thank god for these agents - just another reminder why I keep my loyalty with JL. I donít know what Iíd do if I got stuck having IB as my main carrier..
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by bakaneko85; May 7, 19 at 12:18 am
Old May 7, 19, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Another update: just got another call from JL that they found our other luggage, and both are on their way on the QR flight no I took two days ago. At the end, I just need to shell out a local courier charge from HND to my home which is minuscule. Case closed, Couldnít be happier.

Lessons learnt: 1) be early for your flight, 2) When things go wrong with the luggage, let the airport ground staff (hopefully at your home airport or somewhere with good service level) handles it rather than trying to take care of it yourself.
Calchas likes this.

Search this Thread