Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Help Required: Cancelled Trip due to medical issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum

Hi - some help needed here.

Back in January my Partner injured himself severely on a ski holiday in Andorra and had to be medevaced back to the UK for urgent surgery due to complications. As a result he was unable to go on a trip to Mexico booked 2 weeks post the incident as he was hospitalized for some weeks after.

He was booked to fly LHR-MAD-MEX-CUN outbound (On BA-IB-4O) and on the return was due to fly CUN-LGW back on BA. All of this was booked in Y on a IB ticket/flight code. He rang his insurance who advised him prior to travel to notify Iberia and they should deal with it offering him a chance to reschedule.

He contacted IB on the phone the week the incident happened prior to travel who gave him an a e-mail address to send the details, doctor's note etc. for review by the IB medical team. He heard nothing back, he called multiple times in the week prior to the flight and the default response was that he had to e-mail. He rang BA also who told him as it's an IB ticket IB need to deal with it and ever since, and post the trip he has been e-mailing and phoning Iberia weekly to get an update as to whether they'll do anything and he has never heard anything back. On the phone they just quote the e-mail address.

Has anyone got any experience of this and have any advice on how to handle IB?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
There is no magic email address or secret phone number for the CEO.

Eventually IB will get around to responding to your email. As multiple phone agents have said, calling is just a waste of time because they aren't empowered to do anything about the matter.

I would get the insurance company more involved. In particular, study the policy to see what coverage they provide for future travel. If possible, claim from the insurance company and let them hassle IB.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:12 am

I had a double booking issue with Iberia last summer - email and phone were impossible so I tried DM on twitter and that worked. They usually took a day or so to respond but the issue was resolved.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
OK thanks guys. Will advise they try twitter again and go back to the the Insurance. I wasn't after a magic e-mail address to the CEO haha, but was just was wondering if anyone else has something similar with Iberia as it has been 3 months now and had nothing back from them at all. I've even managed to get EU261 compensation out of AA and FR faster in the past and they can be notoriously difficult!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
Hi - some help needed here.

Back in January my Partner injured himself severely on a ski holiday in Andorra and had to be medevaced back to the UK for urgent surgery due to complications. As a result he was unable to go on a trip to Mexico booked 2 weeks post the incident as he was hospitalized for some weeks after.

He was booked to fly LHR-MAD-MEX-CUN outbound (On BA-IB-4O) and on the return was due to fly CUN-LGW back on BA. All of this was booked in Y on a IB ticket/flight code. He rang his insurance who advised him prior to travel to notify Iberia and they should deal with it offering him a chance to reschedule.

He contacted IB on the phone the week the incident happened prior to travel who gave him an a e-mail address to send the details, doctor's note etc. for review by the IB medical team. He heard nothing back, he called multiple times in the week prior to the flight and the default response was that he had to e-mail. He rang BA also who told him as it's an IB ticket IB need to deal with it and ever since, and post the trip he has been e-mailing and phoning Iberia weekly to get an update as to whether they'll do anything and he has never heard anything back. On the phone they just quote the e-mail address.

Has anyone got any experience of this and have any advice on how to handle IB?
When you say "booked in Y" do you mean simply coach and probably a cheap nonrefundable/nonflexible coach ticket or could you perhaps really mean (FULL FARE) Y? If it's the latter, the ticket should be fully refundable. Check the fare rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.