Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia and Matrix / Google Flights phone booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I just found a route from OSL - LHR - MAD - OPO and return on ITA Matrix. First flight is operated by BA but has a IB flight number. The rest of the flight except the last from LHR to OSL is operated by IB. The last flight also has a BA number. I have tried to phone Iberia to book the ticket but they say it is not possible. I have tried HUACA 4 times with the same answer. They say call BA since first flight is with them. But the price on BA is much higher than if I would book with Iberia. But when I check online on Iberia.com, I get some flights there from OSL to OPO with IB flight number, but it is not the specific flights I want, so I want to book on phone.

This is first time I try to book with Iberia on phone, I always book with BA directly and I never have an issue with them. I did not get a good impression from this to be honest.

Is there something I am doing wrong here?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 pm

Try searching for a multicity ticket on iberia.com, specifying the different segments. Sometimes it works.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Try searching for a multicity ticket on iberia.com, specifying the different segments. Sometimes it works.
That did not work, but thank you for the suggestion. Either the website stopped working or it gave a message of an invalid routing. Really bad website design in my opinion. Any other ways of solving this? Why does ITA matrix show availibility that Iberia cannot book?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

https://bookwithmatrix.com/

Might let you book it through an OTA.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Matrix and Google Flights often work off of stale data. It might simply not be bookable.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Matrix and Google Flights often work off of stale data. It might simply not be bookable.
Fully agree – over the years I have developed a (rather un-)healthy distrust of what Matrix shows me. I treat it as a possibility and food for thought/idea, but nothing more which then needs to be validated by actually trying to really book it…
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noturbulence
Fully agree – over the years I have developed a (rather un-)healthy distrust of what Matrix shows me. I treat it as a possibility and food for thought/idea, but nothing more which then needs to be validated by actually trying to really book it…
But I have used ITA Matrix many times to book complex initiaries with BA and when I call BA to book it has never been a problem to book what I have got from ITA. The price matches within a few Ł also.

So it must be something with Iberia. They told me they cannot sell me the ticket since the first flight is operated by BA but with a IB flight number. This seems very strange to me since I can buy similiar flights online on Iberia.com with first flight operated by BA.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
So it must be something with Iberia.
Can be an IB issue, and good that it has worked for you on BA (the last time that I took a BA flights was several years ago) but I have the same (and even worse) problems with bookings on CX – there the price that Matrix shows never fits, connections are not bookable or do not exist but others are shown… when trying to match Matrix with the CX website (or an OTA for that matter), it’s always a potpourri of surprises what you encounter
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz

But I have used ITA Matrix many times to book complex initiaries ...
If you want to rely on your own experience, you don't need Flyertalk. If you want to find data points beyond your own experience, perhaps you should just listen to what other people are telling you...

Could be Iberia, could be stale data on Matrix, could be something else... But relying on ITA Matrix as a 100% always bookable resource is incorrect.

If bookwithmatrix can't deal with your complex itinerary, nor can Iberia, then you have to just walk away...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you want to rely on your own experience, you don't need Flyertalk. If you want to find data points beyond your own experience, perhaps you should just listen to what other people are telling you...
A rather unhelpful and uncharitable reply methinks ....
TravelManBiz and csycsycsy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.